Amberly's Dilemma

A/N--So I was just listening to music, and I heard tolerate it, by Taylor Swift. It made me think of what would have happened if Amberly figured out that Clarkston was cheating on her in The One. I apologize in advance for how incredibly long it is. Everyone is also probably a bit ooc. I also typed this really fast, so there are probably a lot of mistakes.

Disclaimer: The Selection Series belongs to Kiera Cass. tolerate it belongs to Taylor Swift.

Amberly's P.O.V

A few days ago, I was spending time with the Elite in the Women's Room. I love all of them so much, but America is my favorite. She's so talented and reminds me of myself. I think she would do as well as the queen. I don't know how Maxon hasn't chosen her yet. He obviously loves her and she obviously loves him. I love her, and Clarkston will hopefully get there eventually.

A knock came on the door to my room. "Come in," I say.

I glance over to see Maxon walking into my room with a sober look on his face. "Mom, can I talk to you?"

"Of course. What do you want to talk about?"

"I need to talk about dad, but I think the best way to tell you is to show you." Maxon quickly unbuttons his shirt and turns around.

I gasp. He has scars up and down his back. I can tell that some of them are fairly recent, while others are years old. "What happened?"

Suddenly, a thought pops into my head. "It wasn't your father, was it?"

"It was. I need to discuss the first time. I thought I was protecting you, but you need to know this."

I nod nervously.

"When I was younger, I could always tell when father invited his mistress to the palace. He would give you a great amount of wine and buy you an expensive gift as if to make up for it in advance."

I had always wondered what was up with those, but I always figured they were inspired by spontaneous bursts of love, not the other way around.

"He had stopped for a while, then when I was seven or eight, I saw it again. I caught her leaving. She told me she would say hello to my little sister."

I gasped.

"I told her to never come into my house again, like I, a young boy, could control her. Father soon called me into his office and lashed me with a cane."

I can't believe it. My Clarkston had cheated on me a lot, not to mention heated our son multiple times, by the looks of it.

"Anytime I did anything wrong after that, I knew what was coming. The most recent time was for America's presentation on the report. The one where she suggested that we eliminate the castes."

"I'm sorry. I had no idea. Would you mind leaving me alone to think about this?"

"Of course not."

Maxon leaves my room. I start crying and know that I need to do something with the emotions I'm feeling right now. I pull out my journal. I have never really done music before, but America inspired me.

I start writing:

I sit and watch you reading with your

Head low

I wake and watch you breathing with your

Eyes closed

I sit and watch you