10. Comfort you - Matsuda

"I'm home!" A cheerful sound rang through the hall. "Oh you won't believe what happened today! I know I promised I would be home earlier, but Ryuzaki just kept on talking and talking... So sorry," Matsuda took off his shoes and draped his coat over the coat rack. "But don't worry; I'll make it up to you."

His cheerful rambling went on as I quickly dried my tears and sprinkled some cold water over my eyes in an attempt to make the red shade surrounding them less visible. Matsuda's voice still came from the hall, as he was calling from down the stairs. "Are you upstairs? Ah, I've been thinking of coming home to you all day and now you're hiding from me! Or... are you not home yet?"

Footsteps entered the kitchen and I was just in time to slightly dim the lights before he entered.

"Ah, there you are. I was already worrying you wouldn't be home yet." He stopped for a while and looked at the dimmed lights. "But eh, why this romantic atmosphere in the kitchen?" His eyes wandered around the room, and I watched him connect the dots until he realised.

"Oh."

He stood in front of me and protectively rested both his hands on my shoulders. This sweet gesture caused me to tear up again but I fought the urge to cry. "What's wrong?" Asked Matsuda innocently before noticing my efforts. "Oh no. No, no, no. I won't have you crying. Not on my watch."

I smiled because of him comment, which seemed to reassure Matsuda greatly. He buried me against him and let me rest my head against his chest. I tried harder not to cry, knowing I would ruin his suit. But a soft sweet voice entered my ears and told me differently. "I was just kidding, you know. If you want to cry, please feel free to."

Thus I allowed myself to cry until I was done. All the while, Matsuda was patiently waiting, rubbing my back slightly and sweetly humming a tune to calm me. So now and then I felt a hushing tone being blown in my ear. When my breathing was steady, Matsuda held me a little longer before releasing me from his grip and smiling at me.

"Even when you cry you look rather cute", he said smirking, "but, eh, I really prefer you smiling." I smiled as a response and placed a small kiss on his lips as a thank you. He lifted me up and let me sit on the kitchen island. "Now, you're going to sit here and help me."

"With what?" I asked curiously.

Matsuda disappeared into the fridge and didn't answer before he had found whatever it was he was looking for. On the kitchen counter, he placed all sorts of ingredients. "Well," he said and turned his head to look at me, "you've been feeling down and I had a loooong day. What do you think of a late-night snack?"

The sweetheart triumphantly showed me brightly coloured cupcake cases. We spent the entire night debating over the recipe, baking, merrily eating cupcakes and devouring all the whipped cream. And as I saw that sweet, satisfied smile on his face, I forgot all about what had bothered me before.

A/N

Gotta love cupcakes! And gotta love Matsuda, too! Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter. Please vote and let me know what you thought! ^^

-The Shinigami