Untitled Part 1

Collapse

After the Last Day Book One

By

Don Hayward

This is an improved version of Part One of the original After the Last Day. Those who have read the original will not find any substantial changes to the story. The trilogy is aimed at making the story more accessible, to new readers. – D.H.

This book is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

©2019, Don Hayward. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored

in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical,

recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of Don Hayward.

This book is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Cover photo courtesy of Pixabay.com

Also by Don Hayward

Under Shadows

After the Last Day Book Two

The End of Shadows

After the Last Day Book Three

Echo of the Whip-poor-Will

The Seventh Path

Murder on the Goderich Local

Sherwood Green

This book is dedicated to my children and grandchildren as they enter an uncertain future.

Acknowledgement: To Alex, who read the manuscript and made suggestions for improvement.

To my wife Diane who patiently attempted to discover all of my technical errors, confusing text and provided many helpful suggestions.

All errors are the author's own.

Chapter One

Cold dampness seeped from the ground, penetrating deeply into Bill's body. The steel of his rifle drew heat from his hands. Prone on wet leaves saturated with the watery leavings of a harsh winter, he squinted through the naked brush where the odd, stubborn, twisted, brown leaf still clung to a branch. Details of a small clearing solidified in the early blue light of an April dawn.

Rivulets of grey smoke from a nearly dead fire rose into the calm morning air. A rough lean-to of poles and a blue tarp sheltered two adults. Another huddled beneath rude blankets near the fire. The sleepers had not bothered to post a sentry, and their ragtag appearance suggested this bunch was not likely skilled at fighting.

Matt Long and Stevie Hunter, the town constable had tracked these butchers from Quinn's place where Matt had discovered the bodies. His description of the brutal deaths of Steve and Gail Quinn and their three kids cut deeply. Bill had no doubt he looked at cold-blooded murderers undeserving of mercy.

The innocence of the sleeping forms did not reduce Bill's anger, but he did not want to feel any emotion. This job required deliberate action, and he dared not risk clouding it with hatred.