Chapter 1: Hard Pill to Swallow

"Hey Gracie!" He grinned widely, holding his small daughter up before clutching her close to his chest. "I've missed you." Cooing sweetly to her, he was oblivious to Connie's stare. "Look at you, you've grown so much." He held her little arm out as if mentally trying to measure it. She had the cutest head of curls and the most perfect rounded cheeks as she stared at him innocently. "I can't believe how big you are now." He continued to marvel at his seven month old child as Connie watched on. "How has she been?"

"She's fine, she's doing well."

"Sitting? Crawling?"

"Maybe we should get inside first, it's freezing and she hasn't got her hat on-"

"I was thinking maybe I could have her this weekend, if you have no plans of course." He gushed excitedly, normally she'd be irritated with such little breathing room but she and Grace had just returned from Germany after over two months of being away and Sam had obviously missed her. By the looks of it, Gracie had missed her dad too. Regardless, she continued pushing the empty pram towards the hospital entrance as Sam carried Grace along side her.

The wind was cruel today, bitingly icy on the ears and fingers. For some reason Grace protested heavily to wearing hats and would tear them off as soon as she was strapped into her pram or carseat. Luckily she would happily keep gloves on her little hands. Walking ahead, Sam grabbed the door for Connie and let her in before him.

"Thanks, look how about you see her later, I need to get her to the crêche-"

"The crêche? I'm free right now, I could take her for a bit? We won't go far, will we Gracie?"

"Sam." She interrupted abruptly but politely, attempting to stem his excitement before he got too carried away. Instead she had an alternative solution that suited her too. "How about after work, you can take her for a little while, hm?" Her offer was small but he would have been happy with a ten minute baby-sitting slot. "I have a stack of paperwork to get through and could do with her off my hands for a bit." She paused whilst rearranging the pram for Gracie to be put back in. "I still haven't organised a nanny back here yet."

"We'd love that." He cooed happily. "Wouldn't we, Gracie?" He bounced her lovingly, her little head bobbling as smiled at him. "Look at that neck strength, last time I saw her she couldn't even lift her head." He looked at Connie in bewilderment. His true colours as a father shining through immensely, he was one of those parents that celebrated every milestone by the looks of it. In fact, her brow furrowed for a millisecond at the brief thought that he was even close to tears over something so small.

"Great." She smiled as best she could, pulling the pram hood back as a discreet way of asking him to put her back in it.

"Oh right, of course." He gushed, bending down carefully to strap his teeny daughter into the seat. She protested for a few seconds but was soon silent again. "Well, I'll see you later then? Just text me when you need me to come get her."

"That's fine, I'll drop her at yours, you don't have a carseat yet. It'll be about six." She turned the pram, ready to head off down the opposite corridor as Sam began walking away backwards so he could keep marvelling at his daughter. "Oh and uh, nice hat by the way." She raised her brow, referring to the navy blue beanie he was sporting. "I'd lose it if I were you, it's not a great look." Smirking at his embarrassed smile she hooked her handbag over the stroller handles and set off walking at her usual quick pace.

"Actually, that's something I need to talk-"

"Later." She called out behind herself not turning to give him a second glance. "I'm already running behind schedule, sorry." Her words echoed down the long stretch of tiles beneath their feet as she turned and disappeared out of sight. The people milling around were oblivious to his thoughts as his hand dropped down by his side.