Statistics Aren't Always Right

"Murph?" Runa's voice broke through his reverie and he looked up from the books spread in front of him on the table. "You've been staring at that book for the past ten minutes without actually turning a page. What's the matter?"

He pasted a reassuring smile on his face and shrugged. "Just thinking about a few interesting new tactics." It was a lie, that was for certain. The only thing on his mind right then was the upcoming Yule Ball, and the amount of gossip that had been flying around about who was going with who, who was asking who.

"You lie so badly. Come on, just talk to me?"

"It's nothing Ru, really. Come on, if we get through these chapters there's a 67.8% chance we'll actually be on time for practise."

Runa shot him a narrow eyed stare and shook her head, looking back down at her own books, quill in hand scribbling notes on the assignment they had due in. Concentrating wasn't easy however. There had been something off with Murphy for a few days and she was beginning to get a gnawing sense of worry in the pit of her stomach. She silently vowed to herself to talk to Orion about it once they'd finished quidditch practise, at least there was a possibility that he'd have some idea of what was going on since he and Murphy shared a dorm room together.

They scraped to practice on time, Murphy disappearing up to the commentary box to watch from there, to review their performance from a different vantage point that he'd discuss later with Orion. Runa went straight to change, then to the pitch, starting a less than stellar session of quidditch. Her head wasn't in the game, her mind playing over the last few days trying to track down the point where Murphy had changed from the usual teasing, upbeat guy that she knew to one who was quiet and withdrawn, not really paying attention to what was going on around him. She wasn't sorry when practice was over and she could go to the changing room, getting out of her quidditch gear and back into her own clothes.

She was still there after the rest of the team had gone, just sitting there, taking some time in the peace and quiet to try and find the balance that she knew had been thoroughly lacking. Not that she was alone for long.

"You seemed off-balance my sister in life..." Orion broke off as he dropped onto the bench beside her, his dark eyes sweeping over her.

"Mmm," Runa met his gaze, her amber eyes flicking away again, back down to her hands in her lap. "I've had a lot on my mind, I was going to talk to you...see if you could maybe help."

"I can but try." Orion lay back on the bench, arms crossed behind his head, listening to her as she spoke.

"It's Murphy. He's been so...distracted? Off? Not quite right. Or at least I think so. Maybe it's just with me but I'm worried about him. So I was wondering if you knew anything, I mean you've shared a room together since we all started here at Hogwarts and..."

Orion chuckled. "Slow down, are you in a race with yourself? I too have noticed that Murphy has been less than himself. I expect he could come up with a percentage for just how much..."

"Orion..."

Runa's warning tone made him tilt his head as he looked at her, the joke evidently falling flat. "I'm sorry life sister. You're worried about him I know. I do not know what has happened, or what has put our friend so off balance. I will do what I can to find out and if it's something that he is comfortable with me telling you then I will...if he is not, then I will do what I can to help him myself. Does that settle you a little at least?"

She nodded, slowly standing up and picking up her bag, Orion getting to his feet at the same time, pulling her into a hug, rubbing his cheek for a moment against her black hair. She hugged him back tightly. "Thank you."