Friday night party.

I haven't seen Jake all day, and he was missing from class. I wonder whether he's taken the day off to sleep considering we stayed up late last night. It's getting harder to avoid thinking about him. I'm having lunch with Trish in the cafeteria when we're approached by Ivory. She's holding a stack of pink sticky notes with an address scribbled messily on top of it.

"Hey, guys! There's a party at mine tonight. You're both invited," she says before handing me the note. It's Friday afternoon, and the excitement of an entire weekend break is lingering in the air. I take the note from her, already knowing I won't be able to attend. Trish grabs hold of my arm to stop me, and she turns to Ivory with a beaming smile on her face. "We'll both be there." Trish tells her. Ivory claps her hands in excitement before bouncing over to the next group of students.

"You know I won't be able to go, right? My Mom will never let me." I say to her, preparing her to be disappointed. Trish pushes out her bottom lip before widening her eyes. It's impossible to resist her puppy dog face.

"It's your birthday tomorrow, and I won't get to see you. If we go to the party, we can celebrate when the clock strikes twelve."

I'd completely forgotten it was my birthday tomorrow. I've been so busy drowning in darkness. I shoot an apologetic look at Trish, hating that I'm always disappointing her because of my parents. "I can't go." I repeat my words for a second time. If Trevor finds out I went to a party, hell will break loose. Trish slides my phone toward me with a determined look on her face.

"Call your Mom, and tell her you're spending the night at my house. Come up with your best excuse," Trish persuades me. I chew on the inside of my cheek while contemplating her idea. It would be nice to attend a party for the first time, and it would feel like a personal birthday celebration. I can't remember the last time I'd had a good night with Trish without worrying about all of my worries. I deserve to have a night off.

"Okay, I'm doing it." I pick my phone up before calling Mom. Trish grins when she realizes I'm on board with her plan. She crosses her fingers on both hands for good luck. Mom answers the phone, and her voice fills the line.

"Emily? Is everything okay? You never call me."

"Yes, everything is fine. I have an exam due next week, and I need a study partner. Do you remember my best friend, Trish? She's awesome at Math, and I need all the help I can get. I was wondering if I could stay over at her place tonight." I ramble on, becoming more and more nervous with every passing second. If Mom is in the presence of Trevor, I know the answer is going to be an immediate no. To my shock, Mom agrees.

"Sure, you girls have fun." Mom says. My eyes grow wide with shock, and I feel a wave of excitement flood through me. I'm going to attend my first ever party! Trish watches my reaction closely, and she begins clapping her hands with celebration. "Thanks, Mom. I'll be back first thing tomorrow morning."

I end the call before looking at Trish in disbelief. "She said yes," I breathe out in awe. Trish squeals before lunging forward to embrace me. "I can't believe this! I'm going to part-ay with my best friend tonight!"

*

I head over to Trish's house after school. I can't remember the last time I felt genuinely excited for an event. There's an extra spring in my step, and I can't seem to shake the excited flutters filling my stomach. I'm sitting cross legged on Trish's bed while she scans through her wardrobe. Clothes and hangers get tossed to the floor while she searches for the perfect outfit.

"I can't believe I'm going to my first party. Do I even know how to dance? What if I make a fool of myself in front of everyone?" I ask Trish. She pops her head out of the wardrobe before giving me a reassuring smile.