Chapter 5 - Saving their friends from the Washington monument

---

"Oh no." Peter muttered under his breath. I swiftly pieced together what had happened. The glowy thing had gone through the X-ray machine and became radioactive, then ended up exploding in the elevator.

"My friends are up there!" MJ's voice caused me to spin on my heels and face her with wide eyes.

"What?!" I accidentally yelled out, meant to say that in my head... "Don't worry, ma'am." I told her.

"Everything's gonna be ok." Peter added on. I nodded Peter forward, he nodded back and ran to the base of the monument.

'Pete get to the top of the monument. I'll get into the elevator shaft ready to catch them if it comes hurtling down, ok?' I told him in his head while I sprinted inside the tall building.

'Ok...' I heard him think... Can you hear someone think..? Wrong details, Maximoff! Focus on the task at hand!

"Excuse me!" I yelled carefully pushing people out of my way. "I need to get to the elevator shaft!" I told the staff member that was running the X-ray machine.

"I'm sorry miss, but you can't do that."

"People could die! Move!" I yelled lighting up my eyes. He clenched his jaw under my harsh gaze and aloud me to pass through. I stood in front of the elevator door trying to figure out how to open it, when a thought popped into my head. "Evacuate the area!" I yelled back at the staff member before turning back to the metal doors.

I balled up a ball of my purple magic in my hands and shot it at the door, full force. There probably was a cleaner way to do it but there really wasn't time to figure that out. Both doors landed in the empty shaft with a loud bang. I hopped in and looked up, I could barely see the elevator in the distance. I couldn't quite tell how close it was to the door onto the observation floor. But it had to be close.

I placed wrapped one or my arms around my waist while I ran my other fingers over my lips nervously. There was really nothing I could do they were too hugh up, it was all on Peter. I think the elevator dipped a little since there were suddenly a lot more screaming. I breathed out slowly lowering my hand to my sides, heating them up.

My purple magic enveloped both of my hands as more screams echoed out. Come on, Pete. You can do this. It dipped for a third time, more screams sounded out. I took a deep breath, readying myself.

The elevator finally broke apart, causing me to jumo into action. I held my hands up, even though I couldn't really see them. Before it got too far, the bottom of the elevator glowed purple as it came to a somewhat calm stop. They were all still screaming loudly even through they were safe... ish.

I started to relax a little still holding onto the elevator. I heard a distant crash and it continued to come towards me faster than I thought it would. My eyes widened as I focused harder on keeping it up. It stalled again, getting caught on a crumpled beam.

More weight was suddenly added to the elevator making me strain a little more to keep it up higher. Slowly the elevator started to slowly move upwards, hopefully meaning Peter was slowly pulling it up. I helped steady the elevator as he continued to lift it up.

It stayed in the same place for a few seconds before it crumpled again and came down faster than I could keep up with. My eyes widened as it was almost directly ontop of me. Thinking quickly I bent my kmees and held my hands up to brace it. As it came inches from my face it stopped the whole thing glowing purple. I closed my eyes and let a pulse of energy burst off of me. The elevator shattered into millions of tiny pieces. I sighed and flopped down onto the ground breathing heavily.