Penny's Last Day

Penny looked up at the gray sky and wished it would rain something fun, like marshmallows, instead of cold, wet raindrops. Suddenly she felt a soft plop on top of her head. She looked up and couldn't believe her eyes. It was pudding, astonished she turned to find the culprit, a kid from her class had dumped banana pudding on top of her head. She didn't even like banana!

She would've been shocked, but this type of thing was not unusual you see, she had been bullied since kindergarten. She had no friends, never had, she was now in sixth grade. The tears stung her eyes as she raced inside the school finding security in the girl's bathroom. She knew she shouldn't of risked it and gone outside for recess, but she had an aching desire to fit in. She just wanted to be accepted! How was she, an eleven year old girl, supposed to deal with the entire school, even her family hating her? She had no idea what she had ever done so wrong in her life for her to be treated like this.

Fat, stupid, and ugly, these thoughts plagued her as she curled in a ball tears streaming down her face as she laid in the corner of her bed later that night. She had been called all these things before, her father even contributed to not just the verbal, but physical abuse. "You stupid, lazy fatty! You're nothing but a mistake your mother and I made while drunk. Never would I, in my right mind, want to have you as a daughter!" These words had been promptly followed with a slap to the face, and kicks to her body when she fell and tried to crawl away.

Penny trembled and wailed even louder into her pillow as the memory came to mind. Penny was broken, she was nothing but an empty, shattered shell of the little girl she used to be, edges taped and stitched trying to hold herself together. A solution came to mind, something she had been contemplating and unfortunately, her heart could take no more, it was too broken and abused to fix. Who can you trust yourself with when you can't even trust the people you're supposed to by nature? She got up, out of bed and went in the kitchen and got the pills from the medicine cabinet. She filled a glass of water before retreating back to her room. She pulled her blankets, the only thing that gave her comfort, closer to her as she emptied the bottle into her mouth. She washed it down with the water as she cried her eyes out for the last time. She drifted into a blissful sleep knowing an end to it all would come to her soon.