The Sundial

Anna's first day at the office entailed mediocre cleaning. With no formal education there was little chance of being hired as an administrator. Still, she accepted her role with dignity. Equipped with a feather duster and mop, she would clean the countryside-located office building for two weekday mornings and three alternate evenings. Life was good. The location was good. The pay, well, not so good, but at least it placed food on the table. Even the job was easy: the office workers respected their personal space and wider environment, leaving Anna with little to clean. The company owner, Markus, seemed friendly. He stated Anna could help herself to the tea and coffee. He even provided Anna with a key so he didn't have to spend so many hours in the office. Soon Markus agreed to pay Anna a little extra if she would also help to clear the overgrown courtyard.

The courtyard was a truly magical place. It made Anna appreciate the beauty of the converted barns. Soil borders surrounded the stone ground. Each border was filled with overgrown dead twigs and branches. Anna began to enjoy cleaning the outside much more than she did the inside. She would quickly work through the inside, make herself a hot drink and spend the rest of her shift outdoors. With the summer season approaching it felt good to be outdoors.

When culling back the overgrown, Anna discovered a sundial. It had seen better days but still in working condition. Anna decided to set it free and stand it in the centre of the courtyard. It almost broke her back dragging it from beneath the strangling wooden arms. Eventually it rested orbited by the courtyard. Proud of her discovery, Anna grabbed her coffee and rested on a bench. Her ears tuned in to a strange shuffling. She mistook the sound as a disturbed family of country-life, forced to move home, now the shelter of the sundial found its stage. However, it wasn't a family of furry four-legged creatures Anna saw, but a tall, blonde-haired man, dressed in strange clothes. He stood staring at the sundial gazing at Anna; his hands resting on his hips. And he smiled.

Anna almost spilled her coffee. She composed herself and asked the man what he wanted and how he'd even gained access to the courtyard; a wooden door led to the gravelled car park but Anna knew this to be secured. The man continued to smile, and by now, Anna looked uncomfortable.

'What do you want?' she asked again.

'Do you not recognise me?' the man asked.

Anna shook her head.

'You really don't remember me?'

'Not unless I've sat in the audience of a Shakespearean play, I don't.'

'Think with your heart, Anna. Not with your mind, but with you heart. Think.'

As much as Anna wanted to call the police, she held back. Inside something told her she did know this man. Now, he wasn't the sleazebag from the bar, nor the angry driver she'd become entangled in road rage that morning. And she'd definitely not visited a theatre in the past decade. Yet, she knew she knew him. The man stepped forward.

'Close your eyes, Anna,' he began. Anna submitted. 'Listen to my voice. Open your heart. Now do you recognise me?'

Anna nodded. 'Edward?' Indeed, it was Edward.

Edward pressed his mouth on Anna's and the memories of a past life came flooding back.

Now, you may be wondering: what is the past life Anna and Edward shared?

Allow me to tell you. . .

During the turn of the 17th century, Anna, then known as Anna, rode in a coach along the English moors. The horse-driven coach was manned by two men. Three miles into their journey disaster struck: a masked highwayman halted the coach and proceeded to rob the three female occupants of all their money and jewellery. But, there was something about Anna that grabbed the highwayman's attention—her beauty. Anna peered into his deep blue eyes as he led her to beneath a huge oak tree and began to passionately kiss her, all whilst keeping his pistol pointed at the terrified victims.

The highwayman planned to kidnap Anna but a guardian angel stole the show. Producing his own pistol he commanded the highwayman to leave. The two men manning the coach ordered the saviour to kill the robber but instead mercy was shown. The next two minutes were filled with instability as the two men locked eyes. The highwayman then simply dropped his loot and rode off into the mist. The saviour guided the coach party to the next town.

Helping the young ladies down from the coach he became infatuated with beautiful Anna. And you'd think such a handsome knight in shining armour would have his feelings reciprocated. Sure, Anna took a shine to him, but the burning desires she felt were the ghosts of the warm kisses still haunted her lips. And although Anna found it difficult to forget the highwayman she agreed to marry the saviour. His name was Henry.

Anna spent a wonderful wedded night in the gracious castle of Henry's. Even if she secretly knew she would never be in love as much as her new husband, she still felt life hadn't thrown her a raw deal. That is, however, until one later, the highwayman returned at the front door of the castle.

Now, you'd be forgiven if you believe he was there to reclaim the bride as his; how wonderfully romantic would that be? Life is never that simple. The highwayman wasn't there to steal Anna away but rather to visit his brother—Henry.

And you should have borne witness to the way in which Anna and Edward looked at each other. Oh, Anna definitely recognised those deep blue eyes.

Henry, shocked by his brother's return, demanded he immediately leave. He knew he was the highwayman, but it didn't cross his mind that Anna knew—not until she told him.

Anna informed her new husband that she was a forgiving woman and she would never inform the village of the highwayman's true identity if Henry allowed his brother to take shelter in the castle. Henry reluctantly agreed. But he could have no idea why Anna would make such a daring request.

At each given moment, Anna and Edward would steal every opportunity to embrace. Every time Henry left the castle for business Anna and Edward would frolic in every vacant room. If Henry was home, they would choose the concealed stable courtyard where the sundial had pride of place. Anna and Edward figured this was the one place Henry would never venture; he loathed the smell of the stables.

However, one early morning, before dawn kicked dusk, Henry prepared himself for an out-of-town journey. An old friend had written stating he would love to bring his shooting party to the castle for a weekend. Henry wrote back stating it would be his and Anna's pleasure to host the guests.

With his boots and whip, Henry made his way to the stables, ready to saddle the black stead. The horseman was old and Henry had decided not to wake him at such an early hour. Anna and Edward were too embroiled to notice an angry Henry standing over their naked bodies. Edward grabbed his pants and went to run but Henry gripped Anna's arm tight and threatened to shoot Anna. Enraged, Edward ran towards Henry but Henry's pistol fired, killing Edward instantly.

Now, Henry had no intention of killing Anna but he vowed to beat her into submission. But it wasn't the threat of violence at the hands of her husband that terrified Anna—it was the thought of living without Edward. Anna had managed to loosen Henry's grip and she ran straight for the castle. Fearful for his fate, and knowing he would be hanged, Henry hid Edward's body before following Anna. But, as soon as he reached the moat, Anna tumbled from the top window of the turret.

Centuries later, and Anna and Edward finally meet in the ruins of the courtyard. The sundial has brought them together. But a relationship between the living and the dead cannot sustain. Anna has to die. Edward places his cold hands around Anna's throat. The shadows of the sun go anticlockwise as the life fades from Anna's eyes.

It would be the next morning before Markus discovers her lifeless body at the foot of the sundial. His trial starts next week.