The Big Day

It had been 3 hours since we got to our new home, but it felt a lot longer. My parents had already forgotten that they had picked our lives up and dumped them a thousand miles away. I loved my life before; I had great friends, and a school that wasn't completely terrible. Now, I was stuck in Canada, away from everything I loved.

Once I noticed that my parents were too busy practicing how to say 'eh' like 'real Canadians', I decided to go outside to see what Toronto had to offer. I was hit by a cool breeze once I stepped out, but I carried on, ignoring the goosebumps on my arms. 

After a few minutes of careless meandering, I noticed a coffee shop on the side of the road. The idea of a nice cup of coffee sounded great to me, so I walked into the shop, relieved when the warm, coffee-infused air engulfed me.

"Hi, can I get a Caramel Cold Brew with Cold Foam, and the 10-pack Timbits please." the guy in front of me said to the barista.

"Kind of a cool day to be getting a cold coffee. You're a braver soul than I." I told him.

He turned around, flashing me a smile. He looked around my age, and I was suddenly excited to have interrupted his ordering.

"It's never not a good day for a Cold Brew at Tim's," he responded, not breaking eye contact.

"While your mantra sounds great, as someone whose fingers are about to fall off, I can't say I agree with that."

Before I finished talking, he had already started bringing something out of his bag.

"Here, I always have a pair of these handy just in case. I'm Elliot by the way," he said, handing me a pair of gloves.

"I'm Jake," I responded, watching curiously as he turned around to say something to the lady taking his order.

"Sorry, could I also get a Vanilla Cream Cold Brew for my new friend Jake,? Thanks."

I smiled at him, wondering what he was up to.

"How about we have a drink, and I can change your mind?" he asked me, with a hopeful look on his face.

Once the drinks were ready, we sat down at a table, coffee's in hand. I took a sip of mine, and was pleasantly surprised.

"Great right," he said, noticing the smile on my face.

"You were right, this is amazing! I don't even care about the freezing weather anymore."

"You know it's practically summer right?" he said laughing. "It's like 16 degrees out."

"I'm just used to Miami weather okay. There, I could open my fridge and already feel a shiver coming on." I retorted.

I took another long sip of my drink, savoring the creamy taste, watching him as he responded. Maybe this Tim Horton's would become Elliot and I's spot. It looked like Canada might not be that bad after all.