Coming back

Today is a crazy day. The day causes many emotions in me. I am happy, satisfied, relieved, excited, but on the other hand I am sad, anxious, overwhelmed and stressed. My Master's thesis has been handed in, my stuff has been packed for days. I made my decision weeks ago. I won't be doing a traineeship after my studies for the time being. Even though this has always been my dream. I want to go home. I want to go back to America.

Right now I am standing here in my empty dorm in Hamburg. It's not empty, the furniture is all still there, because the flat was furnished. But my personal stuff is missing. It all fits, believe it or not, into 4 suitcases and a backpack. I have all my memories of this place stored in my heart and in photos on my phone. Hamburg was good to me. Germany was good to me. I had the time of my life here. I could do what I really wanted to do. Study and work at a school. The German school system and especially the research is so much better than in America. Of course, you can't compare Germany with Canada or Scandinavia. Those countries really surpass every school system, but those countries just didn't attract me. I wanted to go to Germany, I wanted to go to Hamburg. I wanted to know what it must have been like for my father to spend his childhood here. I had the feeling I would be able to find myself in Germany. I probably did.

My gaze wanders once more through my one-room flat and lands on the desk by the window. This is where I destroyed my dream of Germany. The Master's thesis was an incredible mental challenge for me. At some point I just couldn't take it anymore and broke down. I was alone. Friends and family far away and local friends not close enough. Hopefully, back in LA, things would be better.

The ringing of my doorbell snaps me out of my thoughts. Tom is here! So it's finally starting. I open the door and in front of me there' s Tom. I have to grin as I look at him. Tom has become one of my closest friends here in Hamburg over the last few months. We met at a party and immediately hit it off. Tom studies theatre at the University of Hamburg and is, in my opinion, a really good actor. He is about 1.90m tall, has dark blond hair and charming green eyes. They are looking at me raptly right now.

"Ready to leave this place, Lia?" asks Tom.

"As ready as I could be." I return, with a sad grin.

"Oh come on, you made the right decision. You need to get your life back on track with your friends back home and be happy."

"Oh you know Tom, I'm scared to face Nick. We've hardly spoken since that thing with Pri. I don't think he even knows I'm coming back today." I lower my gaze, swallow the lump in my throat and grab my backpack.

Tom rubs my back for a moment and then grabs my suitcases.I take one last look at my flat where I've lived for the last 5 years, sigh and close the door. Tom and I walk down the stairs to the street and load my luggage into his car boot.

"You know Lia? If he's really your best friend, then he doesn't care what Pri thinks. Then he's there for you. And even though I don't know him I know Nick is your best friend. You should write to him or arrange with his brother to surprise him. Joseph will pick you up from the airport, won't he?"

We sit down in Tom's car and I nod as he drives slowly towards the airport. "Yes I think you're right Tom. It will all work out. Thanks again for your listening ear these past few weeks." I smile at him and he smiles back and puts his hand on my thigh. "No problem Lia, I was happy to do it."

After about 20 minutes, Tom pulls into the parking garage at Hamburg Airport.

"Looks like we're there," I say, sighing heavily. "I'm really going to miss you Tom".

"Me too Lia!",Tom turns to me and brushes a strand of hair behind my ear. "But I'll see you again in four weeks for your birthday. I promise!"

I grin, "I'm looking forward to it! It's going to be the best summer ever".

"Oh yes! It will be." Tom leans a little further towards me and gives me a short but gentle kiss on the lips. "I love you Lia Schwartz".

"I love you too Tom Flieder!", I smile at him one last time, grab my bags and make my way to the terminal without turning around.