How to Make a Bird Fly

"Y/n this is your last year of UA, you only have one more semester till you graduate." Mr. Principal

 folded his hands neatly on top of the desk and observed your expression.

"I can't continue here." I started. "The league wants me, the school can't protect me and I don't want to put any students at risk. Trust me, I've thought about this for a while. I think it's the best thing I can do."

The rooms silence was pregnant, broken by a small cough coming from the small principle.

It is true. I've spent so many sleepless nights pondering on what I should do: leave the school and live as a civilian peacefully (hopefully), or graduate and become a pro hero but risk the lives of the students and your own. Even if you choose to leave, there was no guarantee that the LOV wouldn't come after you.

I wanted him to say "No, we can find a solution. I'm sure there is something the school can do to keep you and protect our students. You're very powerful and are a huge asset to UA. You could graduate and help save millions."

But we don't always hear what we want.

My thoughts were abruptly interrupted by Mr. Principal clearing his throat. "Y/n I understand the position that you are in and I understand you are sorting through many emotions and outcomes at the moment. If this is really what you believe is the best point of action then we will abide by your wishes."

I sighed in relief and buried my head in my hands. I'm not sure of this feeling. Anxiety, fear, and relief settle in my chest.

"Thank you Mr. Principle." I extend a hand out to him. "It was really an honor going to this school. I know you understand why I chose to leave but I will still do my best within my limits to serve the civilian population."

He smiles and shakes my hand. "Of course Y/n. We will all miss you here at UA. You were such a wonderful and bright student."

An awkward silence hangs shortly in the air before I pipe up, "I should probably get to signing the paperwork and packing right?" I asked gingerly.

"Oh yes, here are the release forms... I'll be right back." He sits up from his chair and left the room to collect the papers.

I wonder what I'll be doing tomorrow and the next week or next year. Not being a hero that's for sure.

"Alright I'm back. Just sign on the highlighted parts and you'll be good to go." He sighed and neatly put down the forms in front of me.

My new life. Great.

———

"Alright you enjoy." The man said closing up the bag. "Pleasure doing business with you, anytime you need some you know you can call me huh?"

"Thanks, you're the man." I chuckled slightly and took a bag in my pocket. "So I owe you like what? Two hundred ten?"

"Yeah. Alright thanks again." He said as the weaseled out the alleyway.

This is my life now huh. Got a shitty office job and come home and smoke weed and go to the gym go to sleep and repeat.

Great.