Chapter 1

DENISE

"Denise, just listen to what your father is saying, this is for the benefit of the company." I heard the pleading voice of my mother from behind me.

Unwilling to talk, I stared out the window. I am trying to control the overflowing emotions I am feeling at the moment.

This sacrificial-lamb-role that I have been playing for the long time has all been for my father's ambition. I know my mom and I, meant nothing to him, since he was already devoured by his endless greed.

I bit my lips to stop my tears from falling.

"Denise, I am begging you dear. Your father is trying all he could to save the company, to save your future. This is all for you. So please, just please, heed his request." My mom says.

I remain silent.

A flicker from the lamp pole, caught my attention. As if it is trying its hard to keep the darkness of the moonless night at bay.

Just like the lamp pole, I am trying my hardest to not be consumed by the struggle of power my entire family has been battling since time immemorial.

"Denise". My mom called me again.

I release a big sigh and glance back at her.

"I have a life too Mom, why can't you guys see that. Why does father regard me as just another trump card that he can always gamble for higher stakes." I said in an angry tone.

"Denise, you don't understand, He's doing this for your own good. Just -"

"Leave Mom. I want to be alone. Just please leave." I cut my mother shortly.

I went back looking outside the window. The guards from the gate, are now replaced by a new shift.

I was intently looking their way, when I  heard the heavy breathing of my mother while she silently walked out the door of my room.

I felt relieved by her sudden retreat. Her presence suffocates me, not because I hate her, but because she reminds me of how miserable my life is, in this household.

She is the living proof.

***
Cortez Inc. was the brainchild of my great great grandfather, Don. Alberto Cortez. It was founded way back 1920's. The company then was solely focused on Textiles, but with its expansion and diverse investment, it became what is known today, 'Cortez Group of Companies'.

Funny how grand-pop established the company during the worst downturn experienced by world economy - the Great Depression era. Some say, its all because of his love towards my grandmother, Doña Nenita Cortez. The latter has obsession towards piña weaving, which was a leading industry back then in her hometown. Other say however, its all because grand-pop went underground and ventured himself with anything but legal. Any how, the vast amount of wealth he accumulated, remains a mystery.

A misery for us, I daresay.

All the Cortezes who succeeded after him, became so obsessed of increasing the wealth three-folds. Without even realizing that the greatest treasure one could have, can't even be bought by money itself. Love.

Now my father, being the eldest among the five siblings, will be the next in throne after my grandfather, Pedro will retire. That is, if the subtle differences between the higher ups, remained in silent acquiescence. By higher ups, I meant all the Cortezes above my father. Grand uncle Placido, my grandfather's only youngest sibling has the second highest share in the company. He was also the CEO of Cortez Energy and Infrastructure Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary company of CGC.