Intermission - Quintessential Paths

I loved you as Icarus loved the sun一

too close, too much

༻𖥸༺

SOMETIMES, CHANGE HAPPENS SLOWLY... A lot of people start off small and soft and innocent. Years pass; they gradually grow and change. Become a little more aware of the world, learn about it day by day. From a baby discovering their own fingers to a child figuring out the difference between real and make believe to teenagers learning just how complicated 一and unfair一 society is.

Other times, change is quiker than that 一 quiker than years. A matter of moving places, into an entirely different city or from one home to another, in less than a moon cycle. Sometimes it's just an hour: before you were a beloved child and now you have only your caregiver as family. Your life can change in minutes when you learn something that shifts your entire perspective. Or mere seconds, riding your horse one moments and falling the next 一 your posture straight and proud one moment, bruised and skinned the next. A lot of injuries are like that. Pain is like that. Sudden and unexpected and tilting your whole world upside down. As easy as falling off a horse.

Healing is never that quick, though.

The first life altering change in her life was when she was five and her family fell prey to a foreign country's spies. That one was expected.

("Dearest child," her mother whispered, long fingers combing through her platinum tresses, "Hide here, and come out only when silence greets you.")

The second one wasn't.

Two minutes. Two minutes and her life changed, shifted, torn. Someone else made a choice and two minutes later, I was never the same.

Two minutes = one year of courting, twelve meetings, two requests of permission, one wedding, twenty-five miles from Saint manor to the Imperial Palace, twenty-four hours of daily smiling, six months before the greatest news, and an entire life changed.

Two minutes. One prince, one escort, one girl doing her shopping, zero barriers.

She was seventeen.

The third change was her darling child. Nine months, one week, three days and what seemed like hours on end of labor. Then he was brought into her life. Her baby boy, hers to love and protect. Her prince. He was the greatest gift life ever gave her. She was just shy of passing nineteen years old.

The fourth change came when she was twenty, and she didn't realize the shift until later, when Fate had already chosen her path.

A split second and a glimpse of glinting steel in the doorway of her chambers.