Home

Jean fixes his hair as the ship approaches Paradis. Everyone is excited to be home and at the same time anxious thinking of what awaits them.

"Jean, the ship is about to dock." Connie called Jean who's still in the room looking at himself in the mirror.

This would be the first time he'll see Mikasa again after three years. All those years he spent hiding in Marley, his motivation to come home alive is her---thinking that she'll need somebody to comfort her as she grieves Eren's death.

Military carriage fetched them from the port. It drove them to Eren's grave where Mikasa is waiting for them.

Jean's heart keeps on beating fast, as the carriage is nearing the hill. Armin noticed his silence. "Jean, are you okay?" He intently asked.

"Huh?" He looked up to Armin. "Yes, why wouldn't I be okay?" He said sounding guilty.

"It's normal for us to be nervous, we really don't know what's waiting for us here in Paradis, but you have to remember, Queen Historia sent the military to rescue us."

Jean is quiet, what Armin said is not really the reason for his uneasiness.

"Also, we should be excited to see Mikasa. She's been waiting for us." Armin added.

"That's what I am worried about Armin. She was alone the whole time she's grieving. None of us was present to comfort her. " He said clenching his fist.

"It's not our choice to stay in Marley. We were running for our lives too and she knows that."

The carriage halted, Connie looks out the window, "We're here. Come on Jean, it's time for us to meet Eren and Mikasa."

They all went up the hill. They sighted Mikasa sitting next to Eren's grave. She stood as soon as she saw them approaching. She ran downhill and opened up her arms to Armin who tightly hugged her.

Annie came near Mikasa and wrapped her arms on her back. The three of them started crying. Connie joined the huddle and Reiner came near them too.

"Come on Jean." Reiner called Jean who's frozen upon seeing Mikasa.

Jean came near them, Mikasa lifted her head and looked at him with a smile.

"Jean, come give us a hug." Mikasa said with tears on her eyes. Jean, leaned on Connie and stretch out his hand, touching Armin and Annie's back.

They broke the huddle and Mikasa led them to Eren's tomb where they all wept all over again.

"Eren, thank you for all you've done." Reiner stated kneeling on his grave.

"I am eternally grateful to you. You died just to give us freedom." Jean said as tears fell on his cheeks.

"We will not let your sacrifice go to waste. I promise you that." Armin firmly said.

Armin turned to Mikasa, "How have you been?"

"I am recovering, I guess." She said.

Jean who's still guilty for not being able to come home soon said, "I am sorry we were not here for you all those years." He said, not meeting her eye.

"Some people were here for me. They comforted me in my misery."

"Are you back in the military?" Annie asked Mikasa.

"No, I decided I would never go back to that. I am working in the state funded orphanage now. Queen Historia gave me a great job. The kids are always full of energy all day. It's not easy to keep up with them. When I come home, there's not enough energy left in me to cry. I fall asleep instantly when my back hits the bed." Mikasa narrated as everyone listened.

"I guess, the orphanage is good for you. Look at you, being beautiful more than ever." Annie said. "Any suitors?" Annie suddenly teased Mikasa.

Mikasa blushed and Jean turned red as well hearing Annie's question.

"None. I guess I still have that image of being a titan killer. It must have drove men off." Mikasa laughed.

"They don't deserve you, if they can't accept you for being a strong woman." Jean interjected and this surprised everyone. Jean himself regretted saying it.

"My friend here, is a cut above the rest." Reiner said pointing at Jean.

Jean threw him an indignant look signaling him to knock it off.

The sun started to set and they decided to go home.

"I'll go ahead, my mother is waiting for me." Connie stated.

"We'll go too. Only, we don't have a home like Connie and Jean." Annie said

"Where will you all be staying?" Mikasa asked.

"To the military base as usual. But don't worry, Queen Historia promised that we will have our own apartments soon." Armin said smiling. He turned to Jean. "Could you walk Mikasa home?"

-----

Jean and Mikasa are both silent is they walk down the road. The awkwardness between them grew and they both feel it.

"Damn it. What's wrong with me? I've been with her for years. We slept beside each other, we ate together, we fought together. She's a friend, why would I act weirdly around her." Jean thought.

"Mikasa." He started. She looked at him, waiting what he is going to say. "While we were in Marley, most of the time we were in disguise. Sometimes, we went to festivals, shopping areas looking ridiculous."

"Oh! Is it terrible?"

"No, not all. My point is we roam around and I saw this being sold in a shop, and I remembered you." Jean took out a butterfly hair clip out of his pocket.

Mikasa is surprised, not expecting that she would receive a small gift from him.

"It's beautiful. Thank you Jean. I'll wear it tomorrow at work." She said.

As they continued walking, Jean noticed that the direction their going leads to his home.

"We're nearing my home. Where do you live now? I should be the one walking you home, not the other way around."

Mikasa continued walking as though not hearing a word he says. Then, she stopped in front of Jean's home.

"We're home Jean." She said smiling.