An Early Morning: A Short Story

(First Person)

As I woke from my deep sleep at four o'clock. I began to do my morning routine. I went to the washroom, showered, brushed my teeth, got dressed and styled my hair for work.

Once I've completed this part of my routine, I decide to make a nice healthy breakfast for my girlfriend and I, since I have about two hours before I leave, afterall today's a big day, we're launching the new cold brew. Speaking of, the company i work for, Tim Hortons, gave some employees some free to try. So maybe, Jill will like it.

I pour the cold brew into her cup, I'll let her prepare it how she likes when she wakes up, and set up the food. Once I'm done, I hurriedly climb the stairs to wake my slumbering love. I kiss her forehead lightly and whisper in her ear, "Jill? Wake up love"

She mumbled something incoherently. She turned away from me. "Darling, wake up i made breakfast, you have the new Tim's cold brew waiting for you downstairs" I whisper softly against her cheek and peck it before being knocked back.

"Babe!" She exclaims excitedly, "why didn't you say so sooner" as she hurries down the stairs i hear her giggles, little does she know what i have planned this morning. She brings so much happiness into my life.

I slowly walk down the stairs to see her patiently waiting for me at the dining table. I smile at her as a light blush spreads across her cheeks. "You didn't have to do all this y'know, I love you already cooking for me is just, well, a bonus for me, babe" she smiles brightly at me and begins to dig into the wrap i made her consisting of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, and egg.

"Cooking for you is the least I can do since I'm rarely home, between work and college, I feel bad because I haven't spent much time with you, but that'll change soon. I promise you, love" I speak with a loving tone.

She drinks her Cold brew and is in awe of the taste. "It's amazing!" She exclaims, "where's this from, Liz?" Her face is so adorable right now i almost can't hold back my plans.

"Oh it's this new drink Timmy's is selling now, they gave me some free and I knew you'd enjoy it" I smile at her thinking about when I should do it. Now,i should do it now.

I get off my chair and walk over to Jill.
She's looking up at me so confused, it's absolutely adorable. I get down on one knee and pull out a tiny box and she begins to tear up.

"Jillian Anna Barbosa, will you make me the happiest women alive? Will you marry me?" I pull out the Amethyst ring, the same one she mentioned she wanted years ago.

"Yes, Yes, of course I will you dumby" she jumps into my arms... And my alarm goes off. I wake up, alone, no Jill, and no job. I lost those years ago. Why must memories still haunt me...