31. Love or Crush?

"Practical starts from tomorrow." Sean sighed as he checked his phone.

"I know." remarked Nate, who was busy flipping through pages of a book of basic pathology.

"How? This e-mail was forwarded just now." asked Sean in a bored tone.

"Mind-links." answered Ariana.

"Wow...You guys don't need phones and internet."

"Not true. Not everyone can mind-link everyone. Like if strangers want to mind-link me, they don't have access unless I give them. And what if you wish to invite someone for a party or a meeting? Those need formal invitation. Hence, internet is used for that. It's also used to maintain contact with other supernatural creatures."

"Oh..."

"And postal service has become a luxury nowadays. Only high ranks use it."

"The irony..." Sean smiled.

"Sshh-" Nate shushed them. Ariana looked ahead to see Alexa approaching them. 

"I searched for you guys everywhere and y'all in the library! Let's go somewhere else." Alexa demanded.

"As you can't see, we're studying." answered Nate sharply.

Ariana noticed Alexa looking here and there as if checking for someone. "Don't worry. Ryan isn't here. I saw Ms. Rachael sending him to receive some books for that shelf."

Alexa was visibly relaxed. She pulled out a chair and sat beside Nate. 

All four of them studied for three hours straight, taking occasional breaks to drink water and go to the loo. 

Sean turned towards Ariana and asked a question. Ariana began explaining the answer. Sean yawned and started leaning his head on her shoulder gradually. As she continued, he frequently nodded his head, which now laid fully rested on her shoulder, letting her know that he was listening.

"Aww... look at them." Alexa cooed. 

Nate lifted his gaze slightly to see them. Oh how he wished to snap a picture of the scenery and send it to the bastard Xavier. 

"I advised Sean to ask Ari out a long time ago, you know. But now I understand his approach. Slow and steady wins the race." Alexa was grinning from ear to ear.

Nate shook his head in disapproval. "There's no time for slow and steady when the girl's literal soulmate is out there in the world."

Alexa's smile fell. "Wait! Are you talking about yourself? Are you in love with Ariana?"

"What? No! I wasn't talking about myself."

"Okay. Then, who? That X man? Lol. He isn't her X. He is her ex."

"Shut up about the X!"

"Haha. Tell that to your cheating ex who must be shouting the name of that X at night."

"No no. I should have told you to shut up when you were murmuring the name of your ex in sleep."

"You're just making it up out of spite. I'm already over Edric. I even burned him yesterday. Ari burned her ex too. So, nobody can stop her from being with Sean. You go fuck yourself with your bad omen."

"You know nothing." Nate narrowed his eyes. 

"Yeah yeah, sour grapes. Now, I get why you broke up with me as soon as Ari came in picture. Are you gonna duel with Sean for her now?" Alexa smirked.

"You're expecting drama from the wrong person, Lexie. Oh but that doesn't mean there won't be drama. There will be. Lots of it. But from someone else. Sadly, you won't be there to see it." Nate smirked in return.