𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

chapter ten.

MY body curled up against the wall, jumping as another object was thrown towards me and breaking, it's shard falling on and around me, "I said I wanted this house spotless!"

"Daddy, stop it!" Matt cried across the room, his sobbing only getting louder when another thing was thrown my way, this time hitting me in my side hard. I wince at the pain, but stayed in a ball, hoping his anger wouldn't turn onto Matt.

"Go to your damn room!" He yelled at Matt, "Now!" I heard Matt's feet storm off and up the stairs, hurriedly closing the door after him. "And you, get up and clean this house like I fucking asked!"

I feared on moving, but when I heard his feet descend and the front door slamming shut, my body slumped against the wall. I wearily raise my head to look at all the glass that was around me and felt tears slide down my cheeks. It took minutes before I could push myself up and off the wall, still crying as I went into the kitchen to grab the broom. My body ached in random places that I was hit, each part throbbing in agony, though I tried not to focus on it and thank god that Matt wasn't hurt.

It wasn't even the afternoon yet and our dad was on a drunken rampage, giving me a task only a minute ago before getting upset at how slow I was going. I'm not surprised, however, finding this part of him to be more and more frequent. If you were to ask why was he like this, it would be due to the fact that our mother dropped us off at his door, knowing he didn't want us. My mom doesn't call much to check on us, which also frustrates him because he has no idea on where she is in order to give us back. He never asked to have us or to take care of us.

It was hours before I finally cleaned up the mess he made and he was back home, "I'm dropping Matt at your grandma's for the weekend and unless you want the same thing, I don't want to see your face until I have to get him back."

He then walked off to Matt's room, not even leaving room for me to speak. I balled up my fist briefly before going to my room and grabbing my skateboard and bag, stuffing it with all I needed. I then walked into Matt's room, watching my dad pack his clothes for him as Matt continued to cry silently.

I walked over to Matt and knelt down to give him a kiss on his forehead, "I'll see you when you get back, kiddo, alright? Be good and I'll call you." He nodded at my words, watching me as I wiped his tears, "Love you."

He suddenly pulled me into a hug, squeezing me as tight as he could. I tried not to wince at the pain I still felt as he mumbled into my neck, "Love you too."

Moments past before our dad was ready to take Matt. He pulled Matt away from me and walked out the room to take him to the car. I followed behind, watching as he loaded the car with Matt's clothes and toys before he met my gaze. He didn't speak and neither did I as he got Matt in the car and then sat in the driver seat, taking off down the street. I waved goodbye to Matt before he did, and when I no longer saw his car, I skated down to Motor.

I couldn't be happier to get back on my skateboard after getting my brace removed, especially now with me not able to go home. I skated with the thought of what just happened replaying in my head. I didn't want to cry again, but I could feel my tears blowing out into the wind until I reached the shop.

Through the glass, I could see Ray at the counter, causing me to smile as I wiped at my face. I walked in only for him to look up and smile at me, though it instantly dropped when he met my face, "What happened?"

"Nothing, just my dad again," I sighed out, watching him come around from the counter to come up to me and take my face in his hands. I could feel my hardened exterior exponentially melting as I stared up at him, "I-I'm fine."