one | nesters

homesteaders, community

"WHY WOULD THEY HAVE ANY REASON TO BE AFRAID OF US?"

       It was daylight at two in the morning. She would give anything for the opportunity to go on voyages such as this with her parents, but still, it was daylight at two in the morning. She'd been all over the continent with her parents, but she had never been this far north before.

       The tent was meant to be blacked out, but, facing it's wall, she fixated on the single sliver of light that poked through the charm her father had put on it. It's kept her up for hours.

       But, as she heard a distant roar across the tundra, she was glad for that little sliver of light. Beside her, her mother woke with a start.

       "Kirby!" her mother whispered, shaking her father.

       "Huh?" groaned her father as he was pulled out of a deep sleep.

       "I heard it!" her mother excitedly whispered. "The Nunavut Nester!"

       The young girl felt both of her parents begin to get up. "Wait, wait," said her father. "What about Nona? We can't just leave her."

       "You can take me with you."

       Both of her parents were shocked into silence as Wenona causally rolled over and looked up at them. She grinned mischievously at them, knowing they thought her to be sound asleep - and when she slept, not even a high magnitude earthquake could wake her. But tonight, she had never fallen asleep, and she was thankful for it.

       Penny Shull looked from her daughter to her husband, at an utter loss of what to do. She has been studying and tracking the extremely rare Nunavut Nester practically her entire career, and while she knew she'd never get a chance such as this to see one up close, she couldn't bear to think of putting her daughter at risk for it.

       The eight year old sat up from her sleeping bag. "I won't get in the way, Maman, I promise."

       Penny exhaled, giving her daughter a conflicted smile. "I'm not worried about you getting in the way, Nonny, I'm worried about you getting hurt."

       "I won't do that either!" she pleaded. "This wouldn't be the first time that you've taken me with you."

       "Yes, but darling, the other times we knew what to expect. We know very, very little about Nesters."

       "But if what we theorize about them is right, Nesters are among the safest breeds of dragons," Kirby piped in.

       "Dad's right!" Wenona continued before Penny could scold her husband. "We call them Nesters for a reason, maman. No other breeds are known to nest or live in communities like the Nesters. They're hardly territorial - you've said so yourself!" Penny was baffled by how much her young daughter knew. She hadn't even gone to school yet, but Wenona Shull was a Dragonologist in the making. "They haven't even been exposed to humans yet, that we know of! Why would they have any reason to be afraid of us?"