12.5

THREE YEARS LATER

A plane lands in Rio before the cargo hold opens up to reveal Agent Luke Hobbs.
"All right, listen up!" Hobbs orders his team as he walks out of the plane. "The men we're after are professional runners. They like speed and are guaranteed to go down the hardest possible way so make sure you got your funderwear on. We find them, we take them as a team, and we bring them back. And above all else, we don't ever, ever let them get into cars. Crime scene is 10 hours old and counting, men. Let's go hunting."
"Agente Hobbs! Chief of Police, João Alemeida," João introduces himself as he walks over to Hobbs.
"Luke," Hobbs corrects him.
"Sorry to hear about the loss of your men," João says as he follows Hobbs, who is flipping through a file. "Is all this really necessary to apprehend two men?"
"Let me tell you something about these two men," Hobbs says as he closes the file. "One is a former federal officer, been in deep cover for five years. He knows every way you're going to come for him. The other is a professional criminal, he has escaped prison twice. They have spent half their lives on the run avoiding folks like you."
"Well, if there's anything we can do to help the DSS..." João starts but is interrupted.
"Two things," Hobbs says as he interrupts him. "One, I need a translator."
"We have plenty in the public relations department," João tells him.
"Elena Neves," Hobbs states, having already picked one out. Hobbs hands the file to João.
"A patrol officer?" João asks him confused.
"You heard me," Hobbs answers him.
"But why? We have many more experienced people," João asks him.
"I like her smile," Hobbs answers him.
"What's the second thing?" João asks as he gives up on changing his mind.
"Stay the fuck out of my way," Hobbs answers as he finally turns to face João before getting into a truck.

Hobbs is looking through the remains of the train before pulling something out from where they had cut into the side of the train.
"Plasma cutter," Hobbs states as he looks at the piece of metal. "Wilkes, I want a list of every place within 50 miles that distributes compressed gas tanks. Pass me that manifest." Hobbs drops the piece of metal into the bag that Wilkes holds out. Wilkes then passes Hobbs a file.
"Officer Neves. Been waiting for you," Hobbs says as she walks up.
"You asked for me?" Elena asks him.
"I did," Hobbs answers her.
"May I ask why? My smile is not that great," Elena says with a blank face.
"Your husband was an officer who was gunned down in the favela. Six months later, you upped and joined the force. You're motivated," Hobbs explains before one of his team members pull up. "Plus, I figure you're the only one in Rio who can't be bought. Am I right?"
"Yes," Elena answers with a nod.
"Of course I am," Hobbs says with a smile.
"Good news, bad news," Hunt says as he walks over.
"You know I like my dessert first," Hobbs states as he looks at him.
"Back-checked the rail line like you asked. Found a couple of spots where they unloaded the cars," Hunt starts explaining. "One set of tracks headed west until it hit the main highway, then disappeared. But another set of tracks headed east. A 107-inch wheelbase, eight and a half inch tread."
"The GT40 that was missing from the manifest," Hobbs states.
"Followed the trail a couple of miles," Hunt says with a nod. "Pretty easy on the scrub. Can't move without leaving a sign."
"Give me the damn veggies," Hobbs tells him knowing the bad news is coming.
"The ground rolls into a hardpack and we lost that track, too," Hunt explains.
"Not necessarily," Elena tells him. "That road heads up through the hills into the favelas. Couple of years ago, it was washed out by a storm. It's all dirt a mile from where you were. If they headed that way, we'll pick up their tracks there."
"You come prepared," Hobbs comments.
"I'm motivated," Elena responds.
"All right, then. Lets find ourselves a car," Hobbs orders before they head out.