Chapter 8

Jane waited for Maura to walk into the dressing room to go and sit down on one of the comfortable leather armchairs that had been settled just by the heavy linen curtain that now separated her from her friend. She let's a quiet sigh of relief pass her lips and closed her eyes for brief seconds as a smile of pure joy lit up her traits.

A day of shopping was always synonym of torture in her head but Maura needed new clothes. And lingerie. Maternity shopping was only sweet and entertaining if you had someone by your side. Of course, Jane had abdicated before her friend's arguments. She always did.

At least Maura dragged her to expensive boutiques with fitting rooms bigger and more comfortable than her Back Bay apartment so if torture there was then it happened to be a rather sweet one.

Jane took advantage of her break to think about the case she and Korsak were working on. She was on her day off but - as usual under such circumstances - her mind remained focused on her job. She thought about the evidence they had gathered until now, and what was left to do. She felt a bit stressed. The case was important, and delicate to handle.

Her daydreams got suddenly interrupted by the sound of Maura's shoes landing on the hardwood floor. Just on her right, a few inches away from her.

Jane looked at her reflection in the mirror opposite hers. She seemed to be genuinely happy. Her eyes were glimmering of delight and her traits were graceful. For once, she felt like saying that she was actually rather pretty.

And then she noticed it.

The angle of the mirror was such that she could see Maura getting undressed. Her friend hadn't closed the curtain properly and the few inches of space between it and the frame of the dressing room revealed her generous curves.

Jane swallowed hard. She knew it was wrong but she couldn't help watching.

Her eyes had fixed upon Maura's back at first but they now followed the travel of the zipper down the dress Maura was wearing. Maura unzipped it stepped out of it. She went to hang it at reach.

The boutique was quiet, and rather empty. Thus both women were alone in the large space dedicated to all the dressing rooms. Jane would have moved if other customers had been there. But the circumstances were such that she abandoned herself to a shameful contemplation of her friend.

Fascinated, Jane observed Maura's legs, her garter belt and her stockings. The refine lingerie embraced Maura's feminine curves with grace and delicacy. She moved her hands to her back in order to unhook her bra with casualness.

Jane could only see her friend sideways now but the position still revealed a lot more than what she should have seen. Maura's breasts appeared before her eyes. Round, and full. Mesmerized and a lot more vulnerable than what she would ever admit, Jane succumbed to a quiet fantasy.

She suddenly wondered what it would feel like to brush Maura's garter belt with her fingertips, to feel the heat of her body under her touch until her skin made real contact with her friend's as she would reach her hips. Her lips would soon replace her hands as she would make it to her breasts. The fantasy was intense, and extremely realistic. Too realistic.

Jane could almost feel Maura's aroused nipples under the tip of her tongue and the sigh of pleasure that would pass her friend's lips as she would spread her legs to quietly invite Jane to move intimacy.

Jane blushed as she suddenly wondered what her friend could taste like. She knew her perfume but perhaps the mix with her skin provided a different cocktail whenever you licked her body.

"Jane?"

Maura's voice - as soft as it was - caused Jane to jump. Her shameful fantasies vanished in the air and she immediately stood up. Instinctively. Yet she didn't have to and she soon felt very stupid.