Chapter 1

as I wake up, the happy oblivion of sleep starts to disappear, as I slowly remember what happened yesterday. The big rebel massacre, the king and queen's death, Maxon now being the new king and finally the only good part, me now being engaged to Maxon.

I can't wait to see him today, I think with a smile on my lips, but I'm kind of nervous that he regrets it, regrets choosing me and all that.

I look up as I hear someone enter the room and I see that it's Mary and Lucy, I get a big lump in my throat, remembering that Anne did not make it yesterday. I can't even begin to imagine how Lucy and Mary are feeling right now though, they knew her way longer than I did and they were close with her.

When they finally see me I can see that they're surprised to find me awake, they were really trying to be silent when they came in.

"Morning miss" Lucy says.

"good morning Lucy" I look at Mary "and good morning to you too Mary" a sad smile grace my lips, it's the first morning where Anne won't be helping me. Even though I only knew her for a few months, I'm really going to miss her.

"we wanted to let you sleep in, it was a long day yesterday and we thought you may have been tired" Mary explains

"the rest of the girls are down in the dining room, eating breakfast" Lucy informs me.

"they're still here?"

"yeah, miss. The girls who were in the elite are going to stay for one more day. They wanted to stay so they could say proper goodbye to whoever won. The rest is going home after breakfast, they weren't here long enough to have formed the bond you have with the other girls."

"they don't know I won?"

"I don't think anyone has informed them of the winner yet, miss"

"oh... and kris is down there, this is going to be a fun awkward meal" I say with a nervous laugh, as Lucy looks for a dress in my closet. I did not think I would still be here today, I really thought I would get kicked out yesterday. if it was not for the rebels, I would have been.

Lucy walks over to me with a simple, blue dress, she found in my closet and helps me get it on.

As I walk down to the dining hall, I'm suddenly nervous about seeing kris, I really don't hope she's mad at me, I hope she still wants to be friends. Queen Amberly told me that the girls from the elite would be the ones I would call if something happened and I needed help or a good advice. They would also be the ones I would invite to everything, so the reason I'm nervous about her being mad at me, is because I know I'll need her friendship, I know it sounds weird. like how can you need anyone's friendship, but beside Marlee, Kris is the person from the selection I was closest to after Celeste died... but what I'm mostly nervous about, is seeing Maxon. I know I said I was excited to see him, but I'm also really scared, and I had forgotten to ask my maids if he's down there with the girls, so now I just had to see for myself. I'm nervous he regrets his decision about choosing me. I'm nervous about him telling me that he would rather marry kris, because he doesn't want to be with me, I know he won't, but I'm still nervous.

I walk into the dining room and sees that Maxon is not there, but kris is. I walk over to my place at the table, trying not to look at her. Trying to figure out a way to find out if she's mad at me, I should really talk to her after breakfast.

"good morning" I say to the girls as I sit down.

"morning" the girls answer me.

and with that, everyone is suddenly quiet and there's an awkward silence. I put some food on my plate and takes a bite of a strawberry tart, as the doors open and Maxon walks in. I look up at him, suddenly more nervous than yesterday and this morning. All my thoughts about him regretting his decision about me, comes back and I look down at my plate as I continue eating. I can feel the girls gaze as they look from me, to kris, to Maxon trying to figure out how it all ended yesterday and who's mad at who and if anyone is even mad.