Chapter 12

Jane had bought way too much food but it made her feel happy. Besides, leftovers weren't really an issue. If there were leftovers at all. It was a sensitive subject - almost taboo - but Maura's appetite had been multipled by ten since she had hit her second trimester.

Of course, Maura wouldn't admit it but she honestly didn't have to since everyone could notice it. She ate a lot, really a lot. And not necessarily organic, healthy food.

"They didn't have this zucchini thing you love so much so I chose the eggplant pie. I hope you won't mind." Jane walked into Maura's office very casually. She sets the different bags down on the coffee table then looked around for Maura who was nowhere to be seen. Yet Maura had told her to stop by around 1pm and it was 1pm sharp. "Maura?"

It was the day after their friendship had suffered from a drastic change of nature. Perhaps they shouldn't even be talking about friendship anymore. Perhaps it was something else now, something that they both wanted and was now happening. The situation was sweet but blurry.

Jane hadn't spent the night over at Maura's after the dinner they had shared with their respective mothers because Constance was around. And because Maura looked tired. She was 4 months pregnant, after all. And what they had done all along the afternoon was exhausting. Thus Jane had left her friend's home without sharing the mere kiss nor the mere look that may have revealed a thousand of untold things.

Perhaps Maura didn't want to be kissed anyway. Jane wasn't sure of anything anymore but she nonetheless felt serene. At peace with herself.

She had slept rather peacefully and had woken up in a good mood. The world kept on turning and life was happening. So she had headed to the BPD in order to start the day as if nothing had happened until Maura had sent her a text message to suggest her to have lunch at her office. Jane had immediately accepted.

"I'm here." Maura poked her head outside the bathroom door. She gives Jane a friendly smile. "I'm just washing my hands."

Maura finally walked in her office anew. She was still wearing a pair of black scrubs, not because she had just finished an autopsy but because med school students were spending the day at her office and she went from one demonstration to another constantly. Besides, the outfit was really comfortable. Ugly but comfortable.

She had put on weight and her stomach looked fuller now. It didn't pass unnoticed anymore, even under her black scrubs. It didn't look very big but it was clear that the chief medical examiner was pregnant. There was satisfaction.

"This isn't Thanksgiving, Jane. We aren't supposed to eat so much."

Maura's remark was nothing but a sign of politeness because she grabbed a falafel right away and begins to chew on it with a glorious frenzy. She was hungry, very hungry.

"You're busy making a head - and arms - and legs, Maura. Eat. You need it."

The remark caused Maura's lips to curl up in a smile. She sat down next to Jane on the couch and observed the food her friend had brought. She was glad to see that her and Jane's bond hadn't changed, that they still could easily talk about everything and nothing at the same time. She had been a bit apprehensive in the morning because what had happened the day before could have had a bigger impact on their relationship but it didn't in the end. And it was comforting.

The last time they found themselves alone - the day before - Jane had come under the tantalizing touch of Maura's tongue. The situation couldn't be more different now. If sex allowed you to skip talking, lunch hardly did.

"How are you doing?" Jane opened a can of Diet Coke. She brought it to her lips and took a long sip of it. They could have talked about work but didn't want to. She cared a lot more about Maura and the baby than the current files they were investigating. "I saw your students. In the hallway. They look younger and younger every year. It's a disaster."