Chapter 13

"I'm surprised you actually want to know the baby's gender." Jane repressed the desire to go hold Maura's hand. "You strike me as the kind of person who'd be eager to want the surprise..."

"I don't have much of a choice, Jane. I am a medical doctor. I can read ultrasound pictures." Maura sighed heavily. If she wanted to be able to take part in the ultrasound session actively then she had to accept the fact that she would get to know about the baby's gender. I just want a healthy child in the end. The rest doesn't matter much."

Jane gives her friend a nod. She felt nervous - impatient - and her heart was beating fast Dr. Whitman had just excused herself but the suspense over Little M's gender was almost over now. As soon as Maura's OB/GYN came back in her office, she and Maura would know if they were going to have a boy or a girl. Finally.

They. Jane blushed before the evidence of her thoughts. Maura's child was hers. To an extent. As a matter of fact, she had always seen it that way, even before they got to sleep together. Perhaps the events of the last few days had simply made it even clearer. She wanted to assume this parenthood from the very beginning to the end.

It felt logical, as if it were meant to be.

They hadn't talked about what was happening. They were simply living it and it worked out. Naturally. Easily. They had walked into the hospital hand in hand. The days were very sweet, and perfect.

"I don't know where parents find the patience to wait for the birth to get to know about their baby's gender. It's nine months, dammit. What a mental torture..."

"It isn't patience but wisdom, Jane." Lying down on the medical table, Maura turned her head and gives her friend a smile. "Nuance."

A pout played on Jane's lips. She didn't necessarily share Maura's opinion but it wasn't the right time to bicker about anything. Dr. Whitman would be back within a few minutes now and then they were supposed to have lunch with Constance afterwards, Constance whose flight was scheduled to take off in the evening.

Their day off wouldn't be very relaxing. They had plenty things to do. Thus, they couldn't waste time in arguments.

A tad bored, Jane casts a glance at the insurance forms Maura had just filled. Dr. Whitman had set them down on her desk, very close to Jane's side. A detail immediately caught Jane's attention. She frowned and read it twice before letting Maura know.

"You got the dates wrong, Maura." Jane pointed the form with her index finger. "You're been single since the day you were born. Or at least from a legal point of view. Why did you write..."

Maura looked at her.

Jane squinted her eyes. "It says 2005."

Maura swallowed hard. A viable tension wrapped up her body as she widened her eyes and desperately tried to focus on the ceiling. The baby moved but she completely ignored it. An earthquake could have happened that she wouldn't have noticed it. What was happening now - in this office - was a lot more delicate to handle.

"Maura?"

Maura bites her lower lip. Her cheeks were hot and she could feel the weight of Jane's eyes on her even if she - Maura - didn't look at her friend. The moment was awkward and her silence was very telling too.

Somewhat.

"Because 2005 is the year when I got a divorce."

"I'm back!" Dr. Whitman said.

She walked into her office and flashed Maura a bright smile.

"I apologize for the last minute change of plans. So let's see how this child is doing." The OB/GYN went to wash her hands. "Do you want to sit closer to your friend, Jane? Today is a big day: you're going to have a big surprise."