Chapter 14

It had taken Maura fifteen minutes to find a restful position in bed. Placing two pillows under her stomach as she lays on her side seemed to bring her the peace that she needed for the rest of the night. The discomfort she felt surprised her because it came early in her pregnancy. She was only 18 weeks pregnant. Things would become harder once she would hit the third trimester. Of course she had more than a timid baby bump by now but it was still quite small.

She really needed to find appropriate pillow online.

Jane was sitting in bed next to her. Her friend was focused on an e-book, some Detective novel that she had bought earlier during the day. The purchase had made Maura laugh. Jane loved Detective novels and thrillers in spite of them being her daily routine and her job. She really enjoyed reading the genre.

As she had told Maura, at least it meant that she was passionate.

"I've disappointed you, haven't?" Maura's whisper slid on her lips bitterly. She didn't want to interrupt Jane but the words weighed too much on her heart. They had to come out. "My wedding in Vegas."

Jane turned her head to look at her friend.

The rest of their day had gone rather smoothly. They had a lovely lunch with Constance before stopping by a bookstore in order to buy a baby name book as well as a few other essays on maternity. Then they had headed back to Maura's place where they had spent the rest of the evening.

Of course, Jane had decided to spend the night over. As a matter of fact, she had grown addicted to having Maura by her side in order to fall asleep at night by now.

"What?!" Jane shook her head. She puts her tablet on pause and turned around to look down at Maura. "Of course not! Why do you say that? You just took me by surprise."

Which was true but Maura couldn't help feeling guilty. She hadn't cheated on Jane - nor had she done anything wrong to her friend - but she had the feeling that she had ruined something nonetheless. It made her shameful marriage look even more like a complete failure.

"I didn't tell you about it because. Because I just want to forget it. I want to turn the page over it. I really want to."

"I get that, Maura. You didn't lie to me and I'm not twelve years old. I'm an adult, you know. I can understand why you've preferred to not say anything about that. It's okay. I'm just surprised it didn't come up any time earlier. Even your parents never mentioned it."

Maura wanted to sit up but she had such a hard time finding a comfortable position in bed that she didn't move and remained still instead.

"They never talk about it because. Because they were furious about it. An Isles doesn't get married in Las Vegas after too many shots of Vodka. For once I was trying to loosen up a bit..."

A shy smile played on Jane's lips. She could imagine Maura trying to fit in the crowd of med students and crossing her very own boundaries by accident just as she could picture her out trying to assume the consequences of her actions.

"We all have secrets, Maura. There are things you don't know about me just as there are things I don't know about you. That's life. As long as you don't try to fool me then who cares? It's healthy to have. You know, secrets. You can't know a person from A to Z unless you've met him or her in kindergarten. And yet!"

Jane's wisdom surprised Maura a lot. She had expected her friend to make a scene, to jump to conclusions or to be impulsive. But Jane showed maturity and quietness instead. It was unusual yet very comforting.

"You're right..."

Maura looked down at the tiny space that separated her hand from Jane's arm. A question burned her lips but she didn't dare to ask it because she knew how Jane worked. If it didn't come from her friend then it was vain.