Chapter 16

Maura had always assumed that the efficiency of a mother resting a hand on top of her stomach when pregnant in order to calm down the baby was an urban legend. And yet. Her very own pregnancy was proving her how wrong she had been because it worked. It really worked.

She couldn't explain it - and it may simply defy science which she had a hard time dealing with - but her daughter quieted down as soon as Maura passed a soothing hand on her baby bump.

Lying down on the couch of her living room, Maura tried to enjoy the serenity of the moment. She had come back from Jane's apartment and she had lit s few cinnamon candles here and there in the large room. The smell went to her head bewitchingly. She loved it.

Outside, the rain slid down the windows at a reasonable pace taking away the end of the afternoon.

A peaceful smile played on Maura's lips as she thought about the last couple of hours she had spent in Jane's arms. They had made love with a sweet intensity but what she had kept in mind was the foreign feeling that she had felt afterward. In Jane's arms. She had felt complete, at peace. At the right place, at the right time. It was immediately satisfying.

"What a terrible weather!" Angela walked in by the door that led to the patio. She shook her head in order to sweep away raindrops from her hair and looked at Maura. "I've never seen so much rain in my life. It's gloomy!"

Maura actually liked the weather. She liked the fall and the bittersweet nostalgy that came within it. Rainy days by the fireplace were sweet. Very sweet. Even more now that she was expecting a child and that the new relationship she had with Jane brought her a comforting sweetness.

"Would you like cinnamon tea? I have just made some." Maura motioned the tea kettle that she had set down on the coffee table and gives Angela a peaceful smile. "It's a very good one. I have cookies too, if you want..."

Angela went to sit down on one of the armchairs, very close to Maura. She poured herself a mug of tea then held out to Maura a thick publication.

"The baby clothes models. As promised." Angela settled further on the armchair. She took a sip of tea then focused on the flames that were dancing in the fireplace. "Just let me know which ones you'd like me to knit for you."

Maura grabbed the publication very enthusiastically. She had been really touched by Angela's offer as knitting baby clothes wasn't something that she had to expect from her own mother. Jane had warned her said clothes would probably be quite ugly but Maura was certain that she could find nice designs nonetheless. They didn't have to have Donald Duck on them.

As a matter of fact, it was even the first time that Maura would focus on something so concrete. She hadn't thought much about her post-partum life until now. She was only 5 months pregnant, after all. She hadn't thought about the nursery, for instance. Even less the name of the baby. The only thing she knew was that she was expecting a girl. The rest would wait a little.

She had all the time in the world.

A tiny contraction caused her to wince in pain. It was nothing important - nothing serious either - but Angela didn't miss it. On the contrary. Worried, Angela leaned over and frowned at Maura.

"Are you okay?"

Maura gives Jane's mother a nod while leafing through the knitting catalogue. She had begun to have contractions on her way back from Jane which was the reason why she had decided to lie down for a while. She needed a break, a time-off. It was the perfect occasion to have it now, with all this rain and dark weather.

"I am simply having very tiny contractions. I am doing just fine, don't be worried, Angela."

Maura assumed that Angela wouldn't insist, because there was nothing else to say about it. At this stage of her pregnancy, her body reactions were even completely random. It made sense. Thus she didn't worry about it the slightest bit. Her next appointment with Dr. Whitman was scheduled in two weeks. The OB/GYN would let's her know if she had to change some of her habits.