Part 1: Kaz

It's just a normal day in Ketterdam, the typical swindling of investors by ruthless gangs, the daily deaths of hundreds on average, and Kaz Brekker planning, yet, another heist, but this isn't going to be just some regular heist. This is a heist taking Pekka Rollins down for good. To Kaz, Pekka Rollins was like the horrendous touch of skin-on-skin covering his whole body, an utter nightmare. He couldn't stand the talk of praise Rollins had received from passersby. He could feel a million tingles for everytime his name was mentioned once in a conversation.

But this time Kaz would take him down for good. He had to, or he would die trying.

Pekka Rollins.... Pekka Rollins. Will this attempt of ending this man's reign not be of just existence in Kaz's best dreams? He can't seem to tell anymore. Money is too expendable. Life is too real. His dreams seem too good to be true.

After approximately fifteen minutes of planning and scheming, Kaz had heard a faint but reassuring movement from behind him. Inej. Who else could it possibly be?

Kaz: Hello, Inej. You've arrived at a promising time.

Inej: And why is that?

Kaz: I have a job for you.

Inej: What's knew?

Kaz: When it comes to Ketterdam, a million things it seems, but anyways, that's not important. What's important is that we stop the one person who is making half of those new things undeniably problematic.

Inej: Let me guess. Pekka Rollins?

Kaz: Who else could it be?

Inej: Kaz-

Kaz: Before you berate me, I want you to know that I'm doing what is best for the Crows.

Inej: So sending us to our inevitable deaths?

Kaz: I will make sure nothing happens to you.

Inej: And the others?

Kaz pauses for a moment.

Kaz: *quickly* Yes of course.

Inej: How can you tell that we'll be okay?

Kaz: You ask too many questions, Wraith.

Inej: And you don't ask hardly enough.

They both then locked eyes. Kaz loved the way her skin matched the light's warm undertones.

Inej: Kaz..

Kaz: Yes, Inej?

Inej: You had promised nothing to happen to the other Crows, but.....what about you?

Kaz: Inej...I don't care of what happens to me. At least if I'd died, I'd know it would be towards vengeance for my brother. And...as long as the other Crows are safe, I'll find peace. *He walked closer to her* Especially you, Inej.

They then shared an eye contact so strong, it seemed as if an atomic bomb couldn't even take away their focus on one another.

Jesper opens the door to Kaz's office which startles them and causes them to step back away from one another.

Jesper: Hey Kaz, do you know where Inej-
Oh never mind *he snorted*.

Inej: Hey Jes.

Jesper: I haven't seen you in ages it seems. Well, you have proven to be quite the stealthy ninja.

Inej laughed, showing her straight, beautiful teeth, whiter than fresh snow. Not much had made Kaz smile, but Inej's laugh had been one of the few exceptions. Inej's laugh was like a rare gemstone, beautiful but hard to come by. Although, Jesper could make even the most broken people laugh.

Kaz: Should I tell him?

Inej: You think he can handle it?

Kaz: *raising his eyebrows* No.

Jesper: Too late. Now I have to know.

Inej and Kaz both gave one another a brief stare.

Inej: You did mention it in front of him.

Kaz: True....ok. So, I have been coming up with an idea to take down Pekka Rollins for good.

Jesper: *sigh* Look Kaz, I love ya, but let's face it. Pekka Rollins is basically a saint in Ketterdam.

Inej: No saint of mine.

Jesper: Or to any Crow for that matter, but besides that, he has the better advantage when it comes to...well, basically everything. We'd be complete fools to even ponder this idea. And it seems you already have.

Kaz. And I am no fool. Agreed?

Jesper: Yes, but-

Kaz: I don't care if this mission is a death sentence for me. I will make sure of the Crow's safety, but I vowed to myself to destroy him.

Inej and Jesper stood pondering for a moment. Inej looked at Kaz with her innocent, dark eyes, and he at her with his unreadable, hazel eyes.

Inej: I will do whatever it takes to take Rollins down with you. You will not do this alone.

Kaz smiled slightly. Hearing that from Inej had comforted him. He knew he could always count on her, but just hearing the words from her voice granted him reassurance.

Kaz: Thank you.

Jesper: *sigh* I'm in too.

Kaz: Thanks.

Jesper: But no last-minute surprises! I get that you like to show your wisdom in trickery, but not this time.

Kaz shrugged.

Kaz: I can't say I will, can't say I won't.

Jesper: Oh, saints. I need a drink. Or two. Or three. Who am I kidding? The whole bar would suffice. *whispering to Inej* Keep an eye on him. I know you always do.

Jesper smirked and left the room, leaving Inej blushing.

Inej: *clearing her throat* Anyways, what's the agenda?

Kaz: Alright, so....

To be continued...

Part 2 next