ωнεяε ωε cσмε αℓιvε

·━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━·

·━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━·

you weren't born to be soft and quiet

It's not like people say. There isn't one moment in your life that defines who you are and who you will be. No, your life is an accumulation of all the decisions you've ever made, all stacked together and smoothed out to create the tangle of problems and insanity that is your destiny.

Delilah "Lailah" Simons was a bit different in this aspect. There were three moments in her life that she knew with pinpoint accuracy had sent her down that path. She was trapped in a mess, drowning in an ocean, and she knew exactly how she had gotten there.

The first moment was when she was eight years old. Nothing important, nothing life changing can happen when you're that young, right? Wrong. On a day like any other, Iron Man came on TV, zooming across the screen, and changed her. That was the moment she decided what she wanted to do in life.

The second moment was one that she would never, ever forget as long as she lived. On a day like any other, it became the first day she blacked out, the first time she woke up to find that she was separate from the rest of the world. The Universe had drawn a line and placed her on the side opposite from the rest of humanity. It separated Normal from Other, and suddenly she was an Other. Try as she might to deny it, Lailah was different. But she hid her powers away because no one could know. That was the moment she knew she would never be the same.

The third moment was years later, when her dreams had crashed back to Earth and time had hollowed her out, turning the smiles sour and the hopes bitter. Her ability was no longer special, her scribbling and fantasies turned to dust like all things must eventually. On a day like every other, she received a letter. Everyone knew about AEGIS, a school started by Tony Stark and SHIELD for only the most prestigious of students. That was the moment when her life pivoted in a direction she had never imagined.

So that's how Lailah ended up in this mess: because of a broken dream, a broken world, and a damn broken elevator.

Superhero school isn't for everyone, and Lailah finds herself neck deep in troubles she hadn't even imagined exists. To start off, she has to juggle:

Victor, the shadow of a boy who seems to make it his goal to drain the world of happiness.

Silas, the ever cheerful one who just won't stop smiling at her.

Blake, the girly girl who's hiding behind paper curtains.

Asher, the jock with the face and humor of a block of marble. 

London, the girl who has been through it all and somehow, somehow hasn't cracked.

Tucker, the boy with skin of stone and the charm of a rock (although he likes to think otherwise).