Chapter 1

Magnolia blew out another sigh as she shut down the computer at the main desk. It was long past closing time, 10 pm in fact, and she was tired. She had just started a new book and was lost in the pages, surpassing closing time by 2 hours.

Her love for literature was what made her want to work in a library in the first place. Her English Degree allowed her to be able to work as a teacher or author but she loved the victorian feel of Allen Library with its six-floored interior. It helped that the job paid well too. Although she was slightly suspicious as to why they payed her to do virtually nothing seeing as barely anyone ever came there along with the fact that she was literally the only worker, she loved her job.

She rubbed her sore eyes and grabbed her coat, making her way to the grand exit in the middle of the library. She made sure all the lights were turned off and was about to step out when she heard a dull thud.

She turned back around with furrowed brows but didn't immediately see anything out of place. She moved to look behind the first few shelves closest to her but all the books looked fine so she went further into the back where the older records and dusty books were held.

There, she saw a navy blue leather-bound book that had clearly seen better days lying on the ground. She picked it up and read the title.

The Cover-Up.

She thought nothing of it and carefully put it back in the bookcase after checking for any damage. Before she went home, she examined the surrounding area one more time to see what could have knocked the book out. But after finding nothing, she was on her way.