Mothers Know Best

Being a 23 year old, with no friends, no famous 'big-brand' name and a new job is alot harder then it looks. Note to self, hate all T.V. Shows that lied about being new in town easy, thank mom for warning me, and feed the dog. The last one was for personal reasons, obviously.

Well, my whole experience isn't bad so far. I got into the school of my dreams, and a nice enough off-campus dorm, that I don't need to live on-campus that's 26 minutes further away from my job compared to my dorm. That's less gas, more time and a good amout of sleep.

Walking into my apartment after a long day of working at the animal shelter near my dorm, I parked my small 4 door Toyota and walked up a flight of stairs and made it to the 6th floor, since sadly the elevator broke down. Inconvenient, I know but I guess as one would say, ”The road to Heaven was never said to be an easy one to take.” I opened the door, and stepped in. As soon as you enter, you can see the reason as to why I picked this dorm. A window, about 2 times taller and horizontally 5ft wide was in the living room leading to a small patio/balcony scene.

Mine was the only one to have that out of all the dorms, however because of the fact that most people want to live on campus and no one wants to climb 6 flights of stairs (because I honestly never know when those elevators actually work) it was one of the cheapest rooms to rent. The view would peer all over Washington D.C.  And you can even see the sparkles of the Hudson River, when the sun touches the water just right.

One of the most beautiful things anyone can ever see. Personally, studying to become a Neurologist, the most 'beautiful' thing I see is either the human brain, or a diagram of the nervous system throughout a human body. Which, isn't as beautiful as I make it sound.

I went over to my couch, and I sat down taking out my Pre-Med notes. Okay, let me rephrase what I said earlier... Once I pass my bar exam that I will receive in about 3 months, I will be studying Neurology. I just took them recently and I am extremely hopeful that I passed them, considering I am currently the top of my class and I want it to stay that way. I work at a nearby Khouls, top of my pre-med class, and am currently playing through my college career in tennis.

Feeling something near my calves I looked down, and noticed a small black and brown shitzu rubbing me. I bent down, moving my notebook to the side, and picked up the small dog. ”Who's a good girl Ales?” I caressed my dogs small body. She is 5 years old and has been with me since senior year of high school, when I was going though the roughest time of my life. She helped me become top if my class, or valedictorian. And before you ask, yes. I did take a gap year.

Placing Ales down, I looked at the time and thought about my schedule. Okay its 3:37, I have to go to the park and be there by 4:45 to practice tennis, and then go to campus at 7 for night classes. Tonight I only have 1 class, and it's psychology, so that's like 30 minutes of lecture, and then I can either call into work for extra hours or sleep.

Maybe I prefer the later.

As I was thinking all of this, I looked over to the counter, were I subconsciously left my phone. It was a track phone with about 600 minutes left on it, because I wasn't really one for talking and texting. It just doesn't fit my schedule. I slowly levitate myself closer to my phone, and I start to see the caller's ID. Mom, it read in bold white letters on a blue and black background. I stared weirdly at the phone, because she doesn't usually call me... For anything! Like, she either shows up randomly or doesn't tell me until I visit.

”Yes?”

Chapter 1:

Mother Knows Best

”Yes?” I questioned, and I started to hear my mother's cool, calm and collected vocal chords through the small phone.

”Honey, I know this is going to sound sudden,” she started mumbling after this point. ”and you might wish me never-ending hell, but one day you will understand what and why I am doing this.”

”Mom, what is it.” I was on high alert. My mother has never done anything wrong to me. So hearing her reaction to something that hasn't been told yet is extremely concerning.

”Well... In a way... You were kind od sold off... If that makes any sense!” My mother laughed hysterically. And in a few seconds, a silence was heard from across country.

”What.” Was literally all I can say. I don't even know how that is legitimately possible.

”Well, you see I was drunk,-” after that was spoken, I just complained ”You know what the doctor said about your blood sugar. Continue heavy intoxication-” ”And a risk of diabetes, yada yada yada.” Was her only reply and she continued her story.

”Anyways,” she exaggerated a bit, ”as I was saying, I was at this bar that is made specifically for the demographic of ages 45+, so when a cute young man enters the room, I couldn't help but want to know why.” She stated. My mother was the kind of person to become curious over the most littlest details. ”Then, I walked up to him, and we sat down. He bought me a drink and we just chatted. Then he mentioned the need for a wife soon, and I just looked at him and said, I may be a bit too old and WAY out of your league, which made him laugh, and I was like however I have this daughter you see and described you. He just absolutely LOVED you, so much that he...” She stopped and kinda felt guilty to continue, but eventually did. ”Bought you off from me.”

”This is illegal in most people, and ethnically wrong you know.” I monotonically stated.

”I can't, um... Return you either... I kinda already spent the money.” She said which spiked my curioucity.

”How much am I-” I tried to find the word for it. ”worth?”

”26 million dollars.”

”And do you care to explain what you spent that money on?”

”No” she stated.

”Fine. It doesn't matter anyways, he doesn't know where I am, non of my information, and I can just hope,that he will never know.” I stated as I hung up the phone before any more plot twist. I didn't need another voice, especially unknown, start to speak to me or the Secret Service randomly pop up out of nowhere.

I don't know of money, and I don't speak of marriage.

As if on cue, I looked at my door because a knock echoes throughout my dorm. I went to open it, not expecting what I saw.

A man, at the very least 6ft tall, dirty blond hair that was pushed messily to the side in a sleek style, and an amazing jawline that framed his face perfectly. Green rubies illuminated this man's face, and a 4 o'clock shadow was showing. In both of his arms he was carrying luggage, and his eyes just scanned me from head to toe, showing no emotions so I am not sure whether or not to feel insecure.

We stood awkwardly for at least a good 2 minutes, but it felt like an eternity. That was until he said the first words.

”You look nothing like your mother.”

”Wow, thanks. Yea, sorry for the trouble. I'm not a tall, blond, and old lady. If that was your type, you could have just swept my mother off of her feet.” I stated sarcastically.

”Well, I didn't want the old version, I wanted the new and improved. However, I see that I ended up with a completely new generation.” He stated, and I blushed in insecurity. He called me unwanted, indirectly.

”Sorry I wasn't what you planned” I spat out.

”No, you aren't. But you will have to do. Now invite me in, and let me unpack.” He stated as he shoved me aside and walked into the only bedroom, which is a master, and dropped his 2 bags onto the floor and unzipped the one that was rolling beside him.

”So your moving in?” I asked confused.

”Of course. You're my wife, and I will be living beside you and vis versa from now on.” He said with a smirk.

”Is this even allowed?” I questioned. ”This is a school dorm, I am not sure if you are allowed to barge in randomly and claim this land as yours.”

”Well, you can when you're me.” The smirk finally appeared on his face, and it seemed he was finally showing his true self.

”Oh and who exactly is that?”

”Eric Whall.”