(𝟣) 𝐵𝓁𝑜𝑜𝒹𝓎 𝐵𝑒𝑔𝒾𝓃𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈

Ahh..

New days, sunshine, a nice breeze. Totally like we're not in a zombie apocalypse at all. However, I am still quite content with the life I am living right now.

"Hey Squirt! I need some help with the truck, move your ass!" I hear my loving brother Nick call from the yard.

I place my bag of seeds and trowel down before scoffing at his goofy smile and statement. I bounded from the garden that George and I have been cultvating for around a year now.

"What's up? Is the truck still not working?" I inquire inbetween panted breaths.

Nick shoots a 'no shit' look my way and I plop beside him inspecting the open ignition compartment and code reader contected to the circuit board. Immediately, I spot the problem. My brother is a very intelligent man but, he has his dumbass moments. I point at a tangle of wires, one of them was frayed and needed to be replaced.

I nudge him, "Hey dumbass, wire's shot."

He looks and gapes. He splutters and sighs heavily. I pinch his cheek and stand up walking back towards the house where I hear George yell.

My brows furrow, "Can we seriously not go one day without breaking something?"

I push the door open and I find George. George in his infinite wisdom tried to make lunch. Key word; tried. He's splayed on the floor, covered in raw egg and a skillet on the floor.

"Jesus! Seriously?" I jokingly quip.

He smiles back at me sheepishly. I pick him up and clean the mess. While cleaning I noticed that we had run out of sponges and cloths. I sigh again, and grab my notepad and write down things we need.

---

The next day is quiet and the breeze has picked up significantly. It looks like a storm is headed our way. I slam the truck door and see Nick standing by my window. I roll it down and shoot him a small smile.

He goes to say something but I interrupt him, "Don't. I know what you're going to say. I'll be fine."

Nick huffs a couple times, a serious look on his face, "Be careful. Apparently the zombie population has been spiking. Keep an eye out."

I lean over and punch him lightly, "No shit dork. I'll be back soon. I love you."

It seems to lighten his spirits and he steps back giving me a small wave as I depart.

The drive is long and boring, but that's okay. I don't mind. I weave my way through the massive amount of abandoned and rusted cars, reveling in the breeze that blows through the cab of the truck. Quality time like this makes me feel alive and it gives me peace of mind as I come to terms wih my illness. As I approach the city centre I find that the road I usually take is blocked by shiny black trucks. My gut twists and I feel some apprehention and so I turn around and take the alternate route.

I finally happen upon the dingy, hole in the wall shopping outlet. I jump out and grab my backpack making a beeline for the cleaning supplies. I groan as I walk into the aisle seeing that there were no cloths but a lot of sponges. Giddily, I grab 6 8-packs of sponges and a stray bottle of soap. Satisfied with my find, I walk around the rest of the store and the adjacent rooms. I finally find some cloths and also a pack of batteries. I'm about to turn around and leave when I hear a small scratching noise.

I tense, my mind racing at a million thoughts at once. Could it be a zombie, a person? I decide to sate my curiousity and I follow the noise. I end up in front of the pet section. The scratching becoming louder and I find myself sticking my hand out to move a bag of cat food when a loud hiss and a large mass of fur launches itself at me. I squeal and drop to the ground, the cat landing daintily a couple inches from me. They glare at me and walk into one of the backrooms and out of sight.

Amused, I follow and find a staircase. I walk down and find a dusty and dank room with a table and a chair. The table contained bloodied bandages and medical tools. I look around some more and find a couple human teeth and a bowl with bloody water. The chair is in the same state, however the legs and arms have straps on them. Almost like it was used to hold someone in place. My breathing falters a little when a sharp clattering noise echoes in the room. Deciding that this was a bad idea, I make my way to the exit when I hear a muffled scream.

I whip around and walk back into the room. I scour the dark corners of the room and happen across a foot, and it's connected to a leg and the leg is connected to the torso of a man. His face is scarred and he's blindfolded, a dog muzzle pressed tightly to his face. I gape in surprise and go to take the blindfold off. The man blinks several times. His arms yanking against what appear to be homemade shackles. I go to take the muzzle off when he growls at me, his face contorting into one of animalistic anger.

I back up, hands up in the air, "I'm not going to hurt you. I'm just going to help you. Is that okay?"

His face somewhat relaxes and presents the side of his face. I take it as a yes and cut off the muzzle by the leather straps. He struggles in his shackles and I inspect them. I can't cut them with a knife, there is no blowtorch around and it looks like the metal plate holding them to the wall is rusty and shakes when the man struggles. I grip onto the metal ring and pull, the man catching on and also starts pulling. Eventually, the plate comes loose and I skitter across the floor and the man stands up.

I notice that this man is a fucking giant. He stares down at me, then at the exit and back at me again. I stand up and come face to face with a man with a gun.