Prologue

The air was heavy and quiet as Connie walked around her foggy university campus. Her heartbeat went faster as her eyes darted around nervously. It was already past midnight and she was only halfway back to the safety of her dormitory. The air grew thick and heavy with each breath as she quickened her pace. At every rustling of leaves and chirping of crickets, Connie jumped, praying she would be home soon.

It wasn't as if she had meant to be out for this long. It was just a normal evening study session in the gorgeous university library. She had sat down at her normal spot, a secluded desk in the nonfiction section, and worked on her biochem homework. Before she knew it, she was being prodded by the janitor and asked to leave. She even forgot her favorite pencil case. Letting out a sigh, she decided to get it in the morning.

She knew she had so much to do the next morning. Would she really have time to go get it? Letting out a sigh, she checked her phone again. It was hard not to just call Steven. After all, he was probably up anyway. He wouldn't mind staying on the phone with her until she was safe. He'd probably be a little upset if I didn't call him when I'm scared out of my mind like this...

Chills ran down her spine as she heard hard soles on the concrete behind her. Crunch... Crunch... She quickly whipped around and went for her pepper spray before stopping in her tracks. "Spinel... You scared me." Waves of relief overcome her as her shoulders slumped over. Her backpack felt heavier than ever as Spinel waved at her, her usual goofy smile nowhere to be seen.

"Oh hi there, Connie. I'm surprised you're out so late. You know, that's pretty dangerous for a pretty girl like you." She scoffed and Connie felt herself instinctively step backwards. Spinel's eyes flicked down to her feet before looking up again. "Come on, Connie, it's your ole pal Spinel! You don't have to be scared of me, right?"

Connie took a deep, slow breath before blowing air out her mouth. Giving a small smile, she nodded quietly. "Sorry, I'm kind of jumpy, is all..."

Spinel stepped forward and held out something small and purple. That was... Her pencil case? Connie's eyebrows furrowed. Why would Spinel have her pencil case? Thankfully, Spinel immediately cleared up the confusion.

"Oh, I just barely missed you in the library. Steven told me your usual spot a while ago. You know how he gushes. I saw you left this."

Connie chuckled softly and took the soft mesh pouch. "Thanks, Spinel. I appreciate it." She allowed herself to relax fully as she turned and began walking in the direction of the dorm. "If you want, we can walk and talk. Why'd you come here in the middle of the night, anyway?"

"Oh, you know. I just missed you. Steven misses you too. Won't stop talking about you, actually." She casually waltzed to Connie's side as they began making their way back to the dormitory. "Has Steven ever said what he loves about you? I'm dying to hear."

Connie glanced over at Spinel. Something about this conversation felt... Off. Why would Spinel care what Steven thought about Connie? Gripping her pencil case, she decided to shrug the weirdness away. After all, Spinel was probably just curious. She didn't have much experience in the line of relationships, so this questioning was probably normal. Probably.

"Well, let's see... He likes that I'm responsible... And um... Caring. He says I have a cute laugh. That I close my eyes and crinkle my nose. I don't think I do that, though." She glanced over and gave a slight smile. "We're only a couple of blocks from my dorm, now. Did you want to stay the night?"

"Nah, you know me, I don't sleep. What else does he love about you?" Her tone was oddly flat. Connie's stomach flip flopped in response.

"U-Um... He says that I'm comforting and that I have a nice, level head. And that he likes my cooking, especially my cookies. Why are you asking me this?"

The crunching sound of gravel under their shoes was the only sound in response. Connie looked over warily. Her stomach slowly began to form knots as time dragged to a snail's pace. Finally, after what felt like eons, Spinel spoke.

"You're not the only one who can do all that." Bitterness dripped from her voice and hatred oozed like poison from every pore. The gem's gaze was cold, frosted steel and Connie could feel her blood turn to ice as her feet suddenly refused to move.

"Spinel... You're scaring me." Her breath began to quicken. "What's wrong?"

There was no answer from her at first. Her lips slowly slipped into a smirk and she chuckled. She took another step forward, her chuckling growing louder when she noticed that Connie immediately willed her feet to back away. With each step forward, Spinel's chuckling grew louder and louder. With her last step, she clutched her sides as they shook. Her laughter sounded maniacal and desperate, and Connie could hear sobs interlaced within.

Suddenly, her laughter stopped. "Nothing's going on with me. I don't got any problem. No problem at allll. The problem, Connie, is you."

Connie whimpered as the gem lunged at her. A growl tore from Spinel's throat as Connie fell backwards with her arms out in front of her. Spinel gripped her shoulder and held Connie suspended mid-fall. She could see the terror in Connie's tear-filled eyes and felt herself squeal in glee. That fear, that discomfort, that pain. She pushed the bubbling excitement back down. There'd be time for it later.

"You're not going to be a problem for long, Connie. Trust me." Aiming for the nose, Spinel struck. Connie's head fell backward as her vision cut to black.

Turn to Meजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें