Do You Love Me?

"Kusuo-kun?"

Akechi was lying down on Saiki's couch. He had invited himself to his house, per usual. They had a very special relationship, which some might call "dating", but Saiki preferred to say that they were "special friends". The TV glowed dimly and the lights were off.

Saiki caressed Akechi's head on his lap and ran his fingers through his hair. They both enjoyed sitting like this, so they did it often. Saiki had been stroking his hair in silence for so long, that when Akechi spoke, he was almost startled. He had his ring on when Akechi visited, to avoid the headache of ignoring his thoughts. He took it off for a moment to talk to him. The noisy string of words flooded his head, but it was preferable to speaking out loud.

'Is something wrong?'

Akechi bit his lip and looked away. A soft blush began to appear on his face.

"I... Never mind. It's silly. Forget I said anything."

'You can tell me.'

"I... Well, I, I don't know, you... You never..."

Akechi almost choked on his words. He tried again.

"Do you..." He swallowed nervously. "Do you love me, Kusuo-kun?"

Saiki was surprised at his question. He didn't know what to say. He looked into Akechi's eyes and noticed they seemed wet.

"I... I wanted to know, because when I tell you I love you, you always stay quiet. I'm not sure if I make you uncomfortable when I say it, and if I do, I'm sorry. I want you to know that I love you more than anyone in the world, and I love being with you, but..."

Saiki felt a pang of guilt as he saw tears streak down Akechi's face.

"But when I tell you, there's no reaction. I want you to be honest with me. Please, tell me the truth."

"Do you love me...? Like I love you...?"

Saiki hadn't seen Akechi cry since they were in first grade. He was quieter now than he had ever been. Even his thoughts were quiet. Saiki wanted to know what he needed, how to comfort him, but he knew he couldn't stay quiet.

'Of course I do.'

Akechi wiped his face and looked up at Saiki.

"Why don't you say it? Does it annoy you? Please Kusuo-kun, tell me."

"Tell me you love me."

Saiki pulled him into a hug, attempting to soothe him.

'I love you.'

Akechi smiled weakly. His tears were still flowing.

"I want to hear you. Please tell me with your voice, Kusuo-kun."

Saiki felt his face get warm. He wasn't ashamed to say it, but he was still getting adjusted to this "love" stuff. All around him, for years, his friends, his family, strangers fell in love. To Saiki, it had always seemed foreign. But he knew how he felt about Akechi. He knew he was special, but he still had a hard time admitting it.

"I... I love you."

Akechi smiled and hugged him back.

"Thank you Kusuo-kun. I feel a lot better now. But I am still wondering, why did you always stay quiet...?"

Saiki felt his face flush.

'I guess I was embarrassed. I'm sorry if I made you worry.'

Saiki smiled, ever so slightly.

'But it always made me feel nice when you said it.'

Akechi turned red as well. He was very happy to hear this.

Akechi hugged him tighter and kissed him gently on the cheek.

Saiki smiled.

'I love you. And I'm sorry if this is the way I tell you.'

Akechi felt his face get even redder.

"I love you too, Kusuo-kun."