The Circus

"Maple! Maple! Where are you?" Sarah called out into the circus, standing at the front gate, she squinted into the darkness, hoping to see her dog, Maple. They were going on their nightly stroll when Maple suddenly ran off, into the circus. Sarah took a deep breath and walked in.

SLAM!! The front gate closed, Sarah swore under her breath, she must have accidentally triggered something that caused
the door to close. All Sarah wanted to do was to get her dog back and get out of here. Now she was trapped, sighing heavily, Sarah headed towards the circus tent, hoping that Maple will be there.

The wind started blowing, shivering, Sarah zipped up her jacket wet and continued walking. Tree branches creaked and she head a crows call from afar, a little freak out, she walked quicker towards the tent. In her hurry and the dark, Sarah didn't see the pair of eyes, watching her every move.

Peaking into the tent, she could see the ruins of fire, blobs of different colour items were scattered across the floor, the seats were black and burnt. Sarah shuddered at the sight of pile of bones on the ground, they were probably the remains of animals and humans who were unable to escape the fire in time. She looked and there was no sign of her dog anywhere. In the corner of her eye, she saw a shadow.

Whipping around, she saw nothing but a pile of dog poop, hope flared up inside her and she rushed towards the poop. Outside the circus tent, she saw a trail off poop and immediately started to follow it. It lead to an old storage unit where all of the props were stored when they were not in use.

Sarah saw that the door was opened and hesitated, she had a bad feeling about going into the warehouse. Pushing that feeling aside, she stepped into the into and immediately felt chills down her spine. It was unnaturally cold, she took a few steps further into the unit and a foul smell hit her. Curious, she ran towards the smell, only to be horrified by what she saw.