Protection

Saiki avoided walking home with others. He made it his life's mission to be in peace.

And Akechi made it his life's mission to hang out with him. So when Akechi's childhood friend slowly crept away from the usual group, he followed him immediately.

"Kusuo-kun? Why did you leave?"

Ugh. Why does God hate me?

"I didn't you want you to walk home alone. You might have gotten lonely, so I came to keep you company. School was boring today, huh? I'm not particularly good at Algebra, but even I must admit it was a bit easy. I remember a similar lesson back in my third year of middle school, and I didn't have a hard time with it then. Of course, I'm not sure how you do in math. Are you particularly good or bad at Algebra? You usually score average on tests, but that doesn't necessarily mean you understand the material. You could, of course, study for four hours a day, and I wouldn't know. Do you study a lot, Kusuo-kun? Because I normal-"

'Akechi, please. You're rambling again. You're going to make my head explode.'

"Oh, sorry Kusuo-kun. I admit I can be a bit verbose, but I wanted to-"

'Akechi.'

"Oh. S-Sorry."

Akechi walked beside Saiki. He was trying his best to stay quiet, but it felt... Wrong.

The only way he made friends was by talking. He thought if he seemed interesting enough, people would like him, and it worked in the beginning. But slowly, any "friends" he had would simply drift away. They'd spend less and less time together until the friendship dissolved into a subtle, one-sided hostility. Saiki was the only friend who had stuck around for longer than a few weeks, and even he left too. But now that he knew who he really was, they were finally friends again.

But he never was able to break his habit.

He started to fidget with the strap of his bag. The silence made him feel uneasy.

I wish I could say something, anything really. It feels awkward with it being so quiet, but I'll have to deal with it. He was a bit foward though. I wonder if-

Honeybees raise a queen by picking an especially healthy larvae and feeding it a sweet substance called 'royal jelly', which is a mixture of honey, nectar, and saliva. They raise the queens to mate with drones and lay eggs. The drones lack a stinger, and the queen can sting multiple times if provoked. The worker has-

The average flour-to-sugar ratio for strawberry cake is about 2:3, so for 200 grams of sugar, you should use about 190 grams of flour. For that ratio, you should use about three eggs, and half a spoon of-

The Pacific Ocean's name comes from the Latin words, 'Tepre Pacificum', meaning 'peaceful sea'. It also contains 50.1% of the world's free standing water. That means it's the largest basin of water.The Great Barrier Reef, which is located in the Pacific, is the world's largest-

Because of their bright hue, tomatoes were originally thought to be poisonous, so people avoided consuming them. There is an old story that somebody tried to poison a world leader of some sort by cooking tomatoes in a soup, but they didn't die after all. It's also said that-

Asou Shuuichi is a manga artist, who originally published his manga in the popular magazine, 'Shonen Jump', his most popular manga running for 182 chapters and 26 volumes. This manga was originally published in 2012, going by the name-

'Akechi, your thoughts are worse than your speech. Why is your brain filled with random facts? And what was that last one you were thinking?'

"Oh, I'm sorry Kusuo-kun, but I was getting a bit bored, so I was entertaining myself by remembering things I read. And about that last thing I was thinking-"

'Akechi, please. Isn't there any way you can shut your brain off? It's killing me.'

"I'm sorry, Kusuo-kun, but there's not much I can do. What about that ring you told me about? The germanium one? Doesn't that cancel your telepathy? You did say you always carried it around in case you needed it. Why not wear that?"

Saiki moved his hand down to his pocket and felt the small lump next to his keys.

He could wear the ring. It would help his block out Akechi's thoughts, and he could finally walk in peace. He could also tell Akechi to leave, but he knew he didn't have anyone else to walk home with, and he didn't want to hurt his feelings.

But then he would be on edge.

The main reason he didn't wear the ring more often, was because he felt like he could be attacked at any second. He didn't feel safe without his telepathy, because he had relied on it for so long. He didn't want Akechi to become Nendou M.

Saiki grimaced.

'I'd rather not. I don't like letting my guard down. It makes me nervous.'

"I can help you with that!"

'How are you going to help me?'

"Just put it on, Kusuo-kun, you'll be fine."

Akechi smiled sweetly as Saiki sighed and reached into his pocket. He slowly slipped the ring on his finger and heard as Akechi's thoughts faded away.

Creepy.

Saiki looked at Akechi with an annoyed look on his face.

'What now?'

Akechi went up behind Saiki and hugged him gently. He started to walk along while still holding on to him.

...

'What are you doing?'

"I'm helping you! That way I can watch out for anyone behind you! I can see all around, and this way you'll feel safer knowing I'm behind you, instead of a murderer or something."

Saiki frowned slightly.

'I... I'm not sure if I'm entirely comfortable with this...'

"I'll protect you! If someone approaches, I'll let you know, and if they try to stab you, they'll have to stab me first! And you can heal me, so I'll be fine, right Kusuo-kun? You'll heal me like before? I want to make you feel as safe as possible."

Akechi smiled and wrapped his arms tighter around Saiki's chest. He rested his head on his back. Saiki felt a bit awkward with Akechi clinging onto him, but he adjusted.

"Does this feel better, Kusuo?"

Hm...

Maybe it was the fact that Akechi cared about him at all, or simply the warm presence, but this felt...

Nice.

It felt safer knowing that Akechi could warn him about anyone who might try to hurt him, and as much as he hated to admit it, Akechi's hug did make him feel better. It was oddly comforting.

'Yes. Yes, I think this is ok.'

Akechi felt his face warm up. He was grateful Saiki couldn't read his thoughts right now.

"That's good. Are you enjoying this?"

Saiki was grateful Akechi couldn't see his face.

'Yes. Now shut up, that was the whole point.'

"Oh, yeah. Sorry."

Akechi enjoyed being so close to Saiki, and even he wouldn't say it, he knew Saiki liked it too.

"Hmm." Akechi hummed. "This is nice."

Akechi was quiet and calm until he felt Saiki's hands hold his.

"K-Kusuo-kun? W-What are you-"

'Shut up and take it.'

Akechi giggled.

"O-Okay."

Akechi didn't see it, but Saiki smiled an imperceptible amount.

Maybe we can walk like this more often.