Rest

Short summary:
Catra is finally relaxing and thinking about all her new friends at Brightmoon and how different her life has become. This takes place after the last season (season 5). Fluff with a tiny hint of angst?

Notes:
"Talking"
'Thinking'
*me*
"Implied" *you'll see later*

Catra sprawled out in a comfortable position on the high ledge. Catra didn't fear that she was laying on the window sill of one of the upper windows of Brightmoon (one of the smaller ones above the really tall ones). Catra never feared heights, in fact she rather enjoyed the feeling of being so far above the ground. An unusually peaceful expression graced the feline females face. Closed eyes, chin nuzzled in her arms with a barely there smile.

Her ears twitched as she heard familiar footsteps below, she knew them. The twin footsteps echoed harmoniously, blending with loving murmurs of conversation Catra could hear from her spot. 'Definitely Spinnerella and Netossa' Catra thought to herself, she would die before admitting to the soft smile that graced her face. It was near impossible to be annoyed at the lovely couple. Especially after the two had helped Catra and encouraged her to finally ask Adora out on their first date. They even helped plan it out, asking what the two had done for fun as kids and noting things that they saw Adora enjoying while Catra was with the Horde. Catra didn't like thinking about the Horde, but it was nice to talk about the old times with others without any judgement or pity of her old life.

Catra was brought out of her musings by the sound of excited chatter. It was muffled but Catra could clearly tell it was Bow and Glimmer in the garden just below Catra on the other side of the glass. Despite how prickly she was in the beginning, Catra didn't mind their excited voices. She couldn't make out their conversation but she wasn't really trying to, she was content and didn't feel the need to spy for information to be valuable anymore. It was a difficult transition, much more difficult then the cat-girl would willingly admit. For as long as she could remember she had to have the upper hand with information or blackmail in order to be seen as useful enough to be kept around. Catra regrets many of her actions but she also knows that if she didn't do many of the things she did, she would most certainly be dead.

It took a long, long time for the recently made Queen and her best friends to reassure Catra that she didn't need to manipulate and spy to be useful and be kept around. She didn't have to know the secret weaknesses of everyone around her. She didn't have to spy on people and invade their privacy. She didn't have to use information as bargaining chips to get what she wants. She didn't have to hide her intentions behind a carefully crafted mask she spent years building. She just had to be herself. If she wanted to do something, she just had to ask. If she wanted to know something, she didn't have to lie, manipulate, and threaten to get the answer. It doesn't matter if she has useful information or not, her input is valued and seen as equal to the others. They don't expect her to be overly chirpy or enthusiastic like the others and Glimmer and her often have great back and forth mildly-sarcastic conversations they can laugh about for ages. 'Sparkles has some great comebacks' the feline thought fondly.

Bow often helped her out when she didn't understand something, even if she very rarely asked for help (she is still Catra after all). And the crop-top-wearing-boy had kept the cat company more than once when the others were busy. He was good at conversations, helping Catra out when she couldn't understand some of the finer points of friendship, he also seemed to understand when she just wanted to sit in the room and not talk while he worked with tech or practiced his archery skills. It was nice to have someone to spend time with who didn't feel the need to talk constantly. Bow liked spending time with the catty girl (being catty in more ways then just her appearance *lol*) she understood the need for silence when focussing. Although, much like a cat, when she wanted attention she got attention, one way or another. It was fairly common for her to sprawl out over the lap of some nearby person and the whole castle had learned that that was her way of saying "I trust you and you're my friend even if I won't admit it outright"

Suddenly a voice interrupted Catras peaceful musings; the voice was very familiar and sent Catra to heaven every time she heard it. Beautiful, melodious and strong, the females voice was like music; layers of beautiful sounds mixing in a way that made her ears twitch to be closer to the noise. "Hey~ Adora" Catra gazed down at the blonde beauty with a lazy grin and eyes half-lidded from the pleasant feeling of the sun warming her back, hand now propping up her head to better look upon her girlfriend below. "Hey Catra. Having a bit of sun time?" Adora knew that one of the things that Catra loved the most about not being in the Frightzone was the sun, and being able to warm herself on a window sill during the late hours of the day. Her catty girlfriend lazily nodded, tail slowly swinging from side to side as her gold and blue eyes slowly disappeared behind her eyelids, a soft smile still on her face. "Well, enjoy your nap" Adora giggled "I'll see you later tonight ok?" Adora heard the soft "hmm" of agreement, nearly missing it from the large distance between the two. She wasn't worried about how high up her girlfriend was off the ground. Initially she was worried for her safety but she realised that Catra will do what Catra wants and nothing will change that. Adora smiled at her stubborn girlfriend, it was one of the many many reasons she loved her.

Adora went on her way, going to hang out with Bow and Glimmer, maybe see how the other Princesses are now that they finally had a chance to go home and rule over their kingdoms. Despite the distance they still kept in contact and often came over to each other's kingdoms to hang out when they had a free day.

Catra continued with her nap. It had been so long since she felt this relaxed. In the Horde she constantly had to watch her back, never truely feeling safe and waiting for anxiety and paranoia to swallow her whole. The only relief she had was when she was with Adora, when she left so did her only feeling of peace. Now that she had her back and better then ever, and she began opening up to the others, it was like finally have if a breath of air after nearly drowning. For the first time in her life, Catra wasn't tense at all. She wasn't worried about someone she didn't know coming up on her, she didn't have her every move scrutinised, with the pressure of a war on her shoulders, knowing that one move out of line could cost her everything. No. Instead she was accepted for who she is, she could sleep without fear and never had to justify herself for taking a break from work. It was peaceful.

Birds cropped outside the window, soft sounds of the outside world drifting around the sleeping girl. Sun warming her fur in a delightfully pleasant way that she could definitely get used to.

For the first time. She could finally rest.