Chapter 16

Diluc didn't lie when he said he'd unearth more information by the time he and Amell met again in regards to the Abyss Order. It was hard to contact the man due to his evasive nature. Amell wished the guy would at least warn him beforehand but he just swooped in the tavern a few nights ago, almost as if his expression carried a gorgonizing stigma to it. 

While the Knights of Favonius weren't as in-depth as the Dark Knight of Mondstadt with the news, they didn't cower against the potentially vile imprecation that'd soon befall their present days. Thanks to the Acting Grand Master and her close associates, an assembly had been established and informed promptly about the influx of noxious schemes the Order was planning. 

Amell had initially thought 'what caused this man to abandon the Knights but still help them in discreet but unsociable ways?'. He'd never understand unless Diluc told him. The man wouldn't. His unraveling of his life and hobbies to others were but a floating vestige.

They chatted whilst taking a stroll nearby Starfell Lake.

"You're pale. Have you not slept well?" Diluc asked.

Amell's spirit wanted to fly away.

"Well, you see..." Amell fumbled with his index fingers, recalling yesterday's turn of events.

Should I? Do I? What the hell am I gonna do?! 

Amell's palms grew hot as they pressed deeply on top of the mahogany table. A bare but beautiful woman laid there before him. Exposed, vulnerable, but intimately desiring. He was without his garments as well. An appeasing chime floated around the air cutting his male instincts short from doing anything that might bring about a terrible conclusion.

What would an average man do in this situation? His breathing alluded to his hunger, his fingertips were excruciatingly craving for her skin. A powerful force held him back and it was performing well under the circumstances. Amell didn't know if he wanted to be grateful for his well-established rationality or to abhor it temporarily. 

Jean Gunnhildr, the most well-respected and luminary role model of Mondstadt was situated before him like a shiny trinket that was beyond price. She glowed like the sun and her scent tortured him mentally.

Curses...

He reached out for a blanket behind the meticulous sofa, hoisting it over Jean's body carefully. Not missing her surprised gasp from his action, he gritted his teeth with his mouth closed, calming down, planning to beat himself up later for this transgression. Jean was about to intervene but Amell was quick on his feet, as always.

"I wasn't planning to do anything inappropriate to you, Jean..." he mumbled out. He held the top of her head covered by the blanket and kissed her unconcealed forehead gently. 

"D-do you not want to?" she squeaked, seemingly embarrassed to have declared such a thing. "Was I too forceful? Am I doing this correctly? Are we going too fast?" 

Holy... Amell resisted, biting his lip to silence his libido. He sat down beside her on the desk, his chest in full view. 

"It's not that I don't want to. I just think now isn't the right time for us to... you know... do stuff like this..." He drew a circle in the air. "Everyone relies on you and you still have an important role to fulfill. I don't want to be a reason to shatter your dreams by doing this."

Jean realized what he was hinting at. "B-but... I'm sure we were p-p-playing safe..."

Amell blushed, "W-well... We'll consider it down the road... For now, let's take it one step at a time, okay? I'm just happy we share the same feelings now..."

At the present time, Diluc's expression turned into both a frown and a half-smile. "I don't know whether to be relieved or disappointed in you."

"You're quite apt so you should be able to determine quickly how to feel about my decision-making..." Amell sighed, palming his face. "Most men would've went for it. But Jean isn't just a woman. She has a lot to uphold, a lot to handle and being intimate with me mustn't get in the way of those..."

"If you realize that then why are you a big ball of gloom? Shouldn't you be proud of yourself for holding back and considering your partner?" Diluc gave him a stare.

Amell chuckled, scratching his head. Diluc was right. While the man had no experience, he sure could give any problem a rational answer. Amell replied, "Kaeya was making fun of me for chickening out. He said I wouldn't ascend anymore now that I've disrespected my blessings."

"Don't listen to that troll, his mannerisms are sometimes trifling. For what's worth, I applaud your self-control." 

Amell could imagine Kaeya laughing in the background, relishing in his alcoholic beverage and flipping his coin to showcase his superiority. 

"Yeah... Thanks. So we're really going to fight the Order's minions tomorrow, huh?" Amell rectified.

"Minion is an understatement. We'd most likely face more than a couple hilichurls," Diluc closed his eyes, listening to the tranquil waters. "I hope my coming here hasn't disturbed the peace in the city but it will surely even if I'm here. Inform Jean and increase the city's defenses."

"How'd you gather the information anyway?"

"Extortion and a little help from someone knowledgeable." 

I wish I knew a lot of people like him. Amell thought.