Fairies

Her footsteps made gentle thuds on the hardwood flooring of her home. The young girl looked around with innocent blue eyes. Light streamed into the stain-glass windows of the house. She liked the colorful patterns which the light made of the walls. It reminded her of when the sun would set, and seem to light the tips of pine trees on fire. Or on July 4th, when fireworks would explode, casting color into the dark sky.

She wondered if she would ever get used to living in the new house. She could tell that she loved it already. But it looked so… different. Almost too good. It had a magical aura. It was old, and creaky. All the floors were made of antique oak wood. The walls had history imbedded in them. Hundreds of families had lived here, and the house had hidden many from harm in times of war. But whether or not it fit her, her mother would not be swayed. After the girl’s grandmother had passed away. It had been uncovered in her will that the house was to go to her closest living descendants. Even though they were complete strangers to her.

The young girl’s name was Amber, by the way. She was only seven years old. She had pale skin, and hair to match. Her eyes were bright, and blue. She wore a pretty blue gown, which matched her eyes perfectly. Her small, delicate hands fiddled with her long braid of blonde hair. She wished she could undo it. She hated to do things with her hair. Amber wondered when she would be allowed to go outside and play.

Bored, she sat down on one of the many cardboard boxes in the room, and leaned back against the sturdy wall behind her. She looked at the colorful patterns on the wall, coming from the light which was stained as it came through the surreal windows. She gave a little sigh, as her mother often did when she had something on her mind. Amber could tell it was windy outside. Tree branches waved in front of the windows, and made the colors dance on the walls. She giggled, thinking the leaves almost looked like fairies dancing their happy little fairy dances. They twirled, and skipped happily. It made her joyous. She only wished there could actually be fairies in the new house to talk to, and be her friends. All her other friends had been left behind when they had moved.

With a small giggle, the girl slid off of the box and set her feet firmly on the ground. She looked for a moment at the windows. If she listened hard enough... She could almost hear little tinkling bells. A smile graced her young lips, and she lifted her arms, waving them gently like a bird. Laughing, she spun around in a circle. Her powdery blue dress flared out at the bottom, and she imagined that she looked just like a princess. 

“Amber!” Her mother’s firm, but kind voice rang out through the house. “Come to dinner darling!"

“Yes Mama!” Amber answered, glancing back once at the lights swaying gently. Fairies… Now that would be something. She gently lifted a hand, and waved a soft goodbye to her imaginary friends. Her light footsteps followed her out of the room, and into the kitchen, where the clanking of dishes could be heard as her mother set out dinner.

Outside, the trees stopped dancing. The ‘wind’ stopped blowing. Several glowing lights sighed with disappointment as their audience left.

Upon closer inspection of the lights, one might see that, in fact, delicate arms, legs, faces, and wings graced the small bodies of what someone might call… Fairies.

“Don’t worry.” One said gently to the others. “She’ll be back after dinner.”