Chapter 1

Author's Note: First foray into fan fiction. Not sure what I am doing, but this won't leave my brain alone. I got this idea when I started thinking about how I would like to spend my days post-zombie apocalypse and the movie Blast from the Past kinda popped up in my mind. I'm not meant for roughing it.

***********************************************************************************************

His scouts had found the seemingly abandoned house in the middle of nowhere a few days ago and swore up and down that they had seen a girl going in through an upstairs window. When they tried to climb the fence surrounding the property, they were shocked, literally, that the electricity still flowed through it. The short wall of burned walkers around the perimeter made a lot more sense though.

How the fuck was that fence still electrified?

Negan could see the house boarded up, a flat-roofed carport, and a large dilapidated barn but nothing to suggest any kind of inhabitants or fucking technology. This place looked like it had been abandoned long before the world turned to shit.

He had been hiding in the trees beyond the fenced-in yard. He hadn't seen any sign of life all day. Every now and then a walker would meander through. Lucille took care of them easily. He was about to give up for the day. He didn't want to be out at night especially when he could be balls deep in one of his wives and then tucked into his comfortable bed.

Well hot diggity dog. Those fucking morons were actually right.

He saw her. She climbed out the second-story window, lowering a basket on a pulley attached to the roof. The pale skin of her arms and face practically reflected the sunlight. Her long dark hair was in a ponytail. She scaled the lattice on the wall until she could easily jump to the ground. She grabbed the basket and seemingly without a care in the world walked to a cluster of trees. She scoured the ground and every now and then picked up something and dropped it in her basket.

When she was done scavenging in the dirt, he watched her climb back up, pull the now full basket up, and go back inside. He walked the perimeter of the fence and found what he was looking for. One tall tree with a branch overhanging the fence.

Stupid fuckers should have been trimming these branches.

Negan tied a rope to the end of his favorite weapon, Lucille, and the other end to his ankle. Up he climbed dragging his barbed wire baseball bat up with him. He sat on the branch and pulled Lucille up the rest of the way and tossed her over. He crawled to the edge of the branch and hung over the fence dropping to the ground on the other side rolling into the dirt.

Passing the barn and trees—pecans–she was picking pecans– he walked cautiously looking for traps and hidden dangers. He found none. Circling the house, all the doors and windows on the first floor were boarded up from the inside.

He climbed up to the roof and looked around Lucille resting on his shoulder. The barn roof was mostly gone. He could see the hay loft from here and wouldn't you fucking know, god damn solar panels. Hidden in plain sight if you could get high enough. Looking around he saw more on the carport roof.

Fucking hell. What do we have here?

He went over to the window. Locked. Using Lucille, he broke it easily enough. He entered into a bedroom. A thick layer of dust covering most things except a trail leading out the door. Out to the hallway, following the trail down the stairs, the place looked like it had been robbed or left in a hurry. Abruptly, the trail ended at a large armoire. Opening the doors, he saw coats and hats. He reached in and felt the back of the wardrobe. Pushing the wooden panel, he felt it give a little. He pushed harder and it opened to a set of stairs leading down.