02. The Tortured Poets Department

༶•------⛧------⛧-------•༶

Chapter Two

•-------------------•

2 years ago

"I just don't get it" the words came out breathlessly as I tried to dodge the punch my father threw my way. my mother was behind him, watching my every movement. Commenting on every imperfection.

Shift your weight.
Bend down quicker.
Punch higher.
Kick harder.

It was never fucking ending.

"No talking" my mother snapped. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. This had become a usual occurrence. First, we'd leave the house bright and early on a Saturday morning before Jeremy and Elena would wake up. Then I'd spend the next 3 hours burning myself out because of it. It didn't matter if I wanted to stop. I had to keep going until my mother said to stop.

Thankfully My father paused his movements and raised a brow "What don't you get?"

I took a few moments to gather my breaths and thoughts, how would I ask them this without them immediately shutting me down like the other times? When it comes to asking questions regarding my situation, well... my parents never answer them.

Why do I have magic? (They never answered this)

Why are we practicing like this? You need to be careful.

Why do I need to be careful? Because you do.

fortunately, my father told me somewhat of the truth one night when he got a little bit too drunk. He said vampires, werewolves, and witches exist in our world and I was a witch. A powerful witch that needs to learn how to protect herself.

When my mother found out that my father told me the partial truth... to say she was pissed might be an understatement. She was livid because she didn't want me to know that much. But in the end, she helped me. She began to help me practice my magic here and there. It's not as much as I'd hope but it's still more than enough.

I didn't ask any other questions after that.

"Why can't I just tell Elena everything? I feel horrible that I'm keeping this from her" It was true, Elena and Jeremy have been kept in the dark from this and everything else. I just didn't understand why they couldn't know. If I'm as special as my mother says I am, aren't Elena and Jeremy as well?

My father looked at my mother and she just shook her head. My stomach clenched in annoyance. She always did that. She always shut me down. All the fucking time. "Your sister will know soon, very soon." He said

I huffed "But why can't I tell her? Don't you think this is a little too weird? It's not like I would ever come face to face with a vampire" I whispered the last part. A part of me still doesn't want to believe it but the other part finds it very fucking cool.

"You don't know that" my mother snapped at me, she walked up to me and I held my breath "There are vampires everywhere Anastasia. Your father and I are making you do this so you can protect yourself without using your magic, vampires have magic in them that makes it hard for witches to hurt them. Don't you want to protect yourself? Your sister? Your brother?"