3. Privileges

"Come with me."

The deep voice verberated through the almost empty room. She clumsily got up and walked towards him taking shaky steps. He had already turned and started walking away. She had to jog behind him to keep up with him. He walked through several turns on the same floor and finally stopped in front of a set of double doors. These doors were different from what she had seen for the previous room. These doors were more contemporary and we're painted white. He fished out a set of keys from his pocket and inserted one of them in the lock and a click sound followed. Opening the doors wide, he motioned her to get in. She walked in without a word and stopped after a few steps and looked back. He was still standing at the door frame. But noticing her gaze, he silently walked in.

The first thing he did was closing all the blinds of all the windows. While he was busy with his work, she took a moment to admire the room. She was right. The dimly lit room had all the things required in a bedroom, closets, television, seating area, and other basic things that she was used to. She thought that the maid must have played a prank and directed her to a wrong room saying it was Kabir's. This must be his room which is full of light and colours. She will thank him later for bringing her out of that mysterious room to this lively one.

He completed the task at hand and turned towards her and cleared his throat. But he already had her full attention. She was in a happy bubble which was layered with shyness, anxiety and fear. She was trying her best to remain composed and not to make a fool of herself in the first ever actual encounter with him. But little did she know that he was here with all the ways to crush her dreams and hopes.

"I hope you do not have high hopes from this wedding. I have nothing to offer you as a wife. I neither consider that event as wedding nor find myself bound to you.

I am not interested in looking at you and don't want to hear your voice. This is the room you are going to occupy until your stay here. Try not to come in line of my vision or my vicinity. I do not like to repeat myself. And I don't take it easy when my orders are not followed.

For your expenses, an amount of 50 thousand will be deposited in your bank account every Friday morning. You need not give any reasons for the expenditure. Should you need anything more, you can contact my secretary. The requested amount will be given without any questions asked. This room has everything one might need, and if you need anything else, go find it yourself or ask the maids.

One more thing, the entire house is accessible to you except my room - one you were shown previously. Do not bother me ever, for whatever reason. I don't tolerate the breach of my privacy."

Saying this, he stretched his hand, pulled her left hand and thrusted the set of keys in her open palm. He left her hand and immediately walked out of the room closing the door behind him, leaving her confused, shattered and heartbroken.

A tinkling sound brought her out of her reverie. The set of keys had slipped out of her hands and fallen on the floor. She sat down slowly, gathered her knees in her arms and placed her dimpled chin on her knees. She was too shocked to let out tears. Or this was something that her heart feared. She was aware of what Rakesh was implying to, but had a false hope that she will have a beautiful married life just like Rakesh and Prerana.

But now everything was crystal clear. She was now left alone to deal with the responsibility of married life. She had no way to go back to the previous life. And she could not ever approach the devil's den for any support or help. He had rubbed the tag of Unwanted in her face and insulted her dignity by providing a weekly allowance, not to mention with a privilege of no questions asked. She could relate him with her father. She did get these privileges back at home. Nothing has changed other than her address and name. Ms. Sunaina Bhatnagar was now Mrs. Sunaina Kabir Dhanrajgir. But she was still the Unwanted Sunaina - an utter disappointment.

The night slowly passed by. The beautiful moon was playing sneak - peak with stars. It got tired and decided to call it a day and Sun approached with warm morning rays. The night slowly transformed into a new day. For few, a new day comes with a new hope, new challenges, new dreams, new accomplishments, but for few, the day comes and goes, just the date changes, not the life.

The day had already started in the Chitra Residence and there was hustle and bustle in the kitchen. Kabir's mother was expecting a late arrival of her son for breakfast. She assumed him to be under the spell of post wedding happenings and was leisurely preparing breakfast menu of his choice. But to her utter surprise, he came down to the breakfast table dressed in his crisp black suit and demanded his strong coffee.

When she came out of her shock and enquired about Sunaina, he gave her blank look picked up his laptop and left without a word. Something did not sit right with her and she rushed to his room to know about the situation. The room was empty and as usual smelled of the incense sticks that Kabir preferred over room fresheners. But there was no sign of the new bride. The room as always was void of light, colors and female touch.

Her heart skipped a beat in fear. She decide to check every room in the house, and started with the rooms on the same floor. After about four guestrooms, she found Sunaina sitting on the floor with her head in her knees.

"Sunaina?" She tried calling her from the doorframe. Sunaina raised her head and looked at the source of voice. When she found her mother-in-law at her door, she got up with a jolt and nearly lost her balance. She did not realize that she was sitting in the same position for a long time and her limbs were stiff now. Sheela rushed inside to hold her before she could kiss the ground. She made her sit on the bed and offered her a glass of water. Sunaina took a small sip and thanked her.

"Did Kabir showed you to this room?"

*******************

Another chapter. How was it?

Will Sunaina tell about Kabir's doings? Rakesh was right all along. Do you like him?

Comment you opinion

Love...