One

Hello! It's been a few years since I've written anything for this site, but I got so many requests to write more that I decided to do a quick rewrite of a short story I wrote a few years ago, though I'm sure none of the current readers remember it :)

Sorry the first chapter is slightly short, I'm just getting used to writing on here again. Please be patient with me!

<3 bagelqueens

Spring was reaching its hot end when Hermes arrived at Demeter's home, a hollow tree in the vast fields of Greece. He noticed the two figures working in the field nearby and landed only feet away.

He noticed there were far more blossoms than fruit, which was strange this late in the season. She must be running behind on her usual schedule.

Hermes was still adjusting to his newest winged sandals, and found himself landing in an unusually loud manner. "Message!" he declared, nearly face-planting on the ground. 

Demeter looked up at him sharply, her face the picture of annoyance. "What is it now? Can't you see I'm working?"

He cleared his throat and handed the envelope to her with unexpected flourish. "It's from Zeus, ma'am."

She shook her head. "No, I can't attend the dinner. Tell Zeus to give me more notice next year."

Hermes shook his head vigorously. "I'm afraid that's not possible. He's having the dinner to celebrate you and-"

"Me and who?" Her face went pale.

He gulped before he finished. "You and your daughter..."

As if sensing the mention of her, a young woman approached. 

"Mama, who's this?" Her face was framed with a flower crown and auburn hair. She had Demeter's face without the aging of the long hours in the sun.

"How does Zeus know?" Demeter whipped around, rage covering her expression. "He's never met her!"

The young woman picked a petal off her crown. "Wasn't Zeus the name of that guy who stopped by for those blue hydrangeas last week? He seemed super nice, he called me a young flower."

Hermes and Demeter both looked at her with vastly different reactions.

"WHAT?" Demeter exploded.

"He's only kind to lovely young ladies, I'm afraid," Hermes mumbled.

"Zeus came here?" 

The girl nodded. "Is there a problem Mama?"

"Persephone, you know you're not to help men alone," she hissed.

Persephone scowled. "Mama, I'm more than capable of handling transactions with mortals, men and women. There's nothing to worry about."

"Mortal? Zeus?" Hermes laughed. "Good job Demeter, you've literally raised her away from the rest of the gods."

Persephone gasped, awe filling her eyes. "There's more like me? Mama there's more like us!"

"Yes I know," she practically growled. 

Hermes chuckled. "I'll see you two tonight." 

- - -

"Mama, I really don't understand what the issue is, Zeus seemed kind-"

"Persephone, darling, men are anything but kind. You know this. You know better than to take care of deals with men. I will not have another incident," she explained sternly.

The two were riding in their chariot up to Mount Olympus, much to Demeter's distaste. She hated piloting the things.

"Please don't bring that up again," Persephone rolled her eyes. "That was ages ago, and I know better now. I can defend myself!"

"I just never want to see you in such a helpless position again," Demeter reasoned.

"Mama, the only reason I'll ever be helpless again is because you're neglected to tell me anything about our world. When were you going to tell me there are others?" Persephone asked accusingly. "You treat me like a delicate flower when I can handle things mother."

At the word mother, Demeter stiffened. "You will soon see why we do not associate with these people."

Shaking her head as they landed, Persephone hopped out of the chariot. "Zeus really didn't seem so bad."

"Tell Hera that," she grumbled, under her breath. 

"Who?" 

They climbed the steps in silence. Persephone wrung her hands anxiously, unsure what to expect from a gathering of gods. Would they be kind, or cruel like her mother and Hermes had said?

When they entered the gathering, no one looked their way, as if the party wasn't in their honor.

"Perhaps we can go home now, we've made an appearance," Demeter said, as if to comfort her daughter. She hooked her arm through Persephone's and made for them to turn and leave when a booming voice called out to them.

"Demeter! Glad to see you've finally left your tree," Zeus snickered. "And you brought the secret daughter."

Persephone blushed and trembled. All the gods turned to look at them. She shrunk back, wanting to hide behind her mother.

"Leave them be," a deep voice groaned. "I don't particularly like you either."

Some of them laughed before returning to their conversations.

Demeter smiled stiffly, almost insincerely. "Thank you Hades."

"No problem," he nodded. Gesturing to the figure who had hidden behind her mother he asked.  "Who's this?" 

Persephone hopped out from behind Demeter. "I'm Persephone. Are you a god?"

He laughed. "Yes, most everyone here is. Do you need to be introduced?"

Nodding, Persephone followed him, not giving her mother time to argue.

"That's Ares, God of War. I avoid him when I can, seeing as his hotheadedness makes my job more crowded," Hades muttered the last bit mainly to himself. "Over there, is Aphrodite. She's the Goddess of Love and Beauty but don't pick a fight with her and-" He looked down at her and ruffled her hair a little. "Try not to look so pretty, she gets jealous like you've never seen."

The blush on her face was so hot, Persephone felt like she might burst into flames. "Strange way of calling a girl pretty."

"I didn't mean to- Here's Hephaestus,known for his welding and iron smith work. Over there is my boneheaded brother Zeus and some of his children," he gestured to the head of the dinner table where he sat, two angry looking children beside him. The boy wore gold and the other, a girl, wore silver. "The twins are Apollo and Artemis. I would avoid them, they're going through a weird phase right now."

Persephone was already beginning to forget their names as Hades pointed out everyone else in the room. 

They neared a balcony, which looked out over the city below.

"What are you the god of?" Persephone asked, fiddling with the hem of her skirt.

Hades hesitated. "The dead."

"Like, you kill them?" Persephone didn't feel frightened, but understood why nobody spoke to him if that were the case.

"No, no I'm the god of the underworld, which is where the dead go. Thanatos, over there, is the god of death. He brings the spirits to me, and I help sort them," Hades explained.

"Oh, alright, that's not so bad," she was trying not to be awkward, but felt like she was failing miserably.

Hades paused, a smile on his face. "No, it's not so bad all the time."

They shared a moment of silence before Persephone pushed off the balcony railing. "I'd better go find my Mom, it was nice meeting you Hades!"

She hurried off, her heart in her throat. How could her mother hate this place so much, when there were people like him here?