Prologue

John's eyes watered as he stared at his phone screen, bright in his dark room. He swallowed as the three dots disappeared, a gray bubble taking their place, indicating another text.

{John, I'm sorry.}

"I'm sorry?" That's all he gets?

{Somehow I don't think you are. }

He waited with bated breath for what felt like an eternity.

{You knew this wasn't going to really work out, right?}

John blinked. Yes, everything had to come to an end at some point, but couldn't they at least try?

{John?}

He nearly jumped in surprise as the phone buzzed in his hand. It had been five minutes since the last text; he didn't realize he'd zoned out for so long.

John swallowed before forcing his fingers to type a response.

{Why?}

Nothing. He stared at the screen until his eyes hurt with the light, waiting desperately for an answer. The three dots appeared, disappeared, appeared again, disappeared again, and it was a long while of that same routine before something finally came through.

{I'm sorry, I really am, but I think it's best if this ends. I'll never forget you, Laurens.}

Tears threatened to fall. John hardened, refusing to give in to his emotions. Breaking up over text? That was low, and he wouldn't cry over a coward too scared to say it to his face.

{Fine.}

{Jack...}

He inhaled sharply through his nose. No. He would not let him call him that anymore.

{Goodbye.}

No response.

At that very moment, John Laurens swore to himself that he would never let himself fall foolishly in love again.

That damn Francis.

——

hey hey hey so look i actually have an idea as to where this is going and hopefully it won't flop

also yes this is short but it's just a prologue shhhh