1. I hate this

I hate this.

I can't believe he didn't even come to pick me up at the airport and sent Aizawa instead. He probably has work to do, so why am I that surprised? He's been absent most of my life. Why would that change?

During this twelve hour flight, I couldn't sleep, thinking about Mom, the trial and this damn asshole, her new husband. I'm glad he got convicted and will spend a while in jail. My only problem is that I was too late to realise he was abusing her. The trial would have happened earlier if I hadn't sent him into hospital. I just lost it.

Being seventeen, with Mom in psychiatric ward, the judge decided to send me to my Dad, a man I barely know, on the other side of the planet.

Poor Aizawa being dumped with me. He's a good friend to the family so he couldn't say no to him for looking after me I guess. I wonder what's waiting for me.

In the car, he explains what the plan is.

"I don't know how long you'll be here for, but we have agreed with your school to do an official exchange with UA, so you will be attending my class with the third years. The curriculum might be slightly different but it's also a hero course, like the one you follow in France."

"Okay."

New people. I didn't think about that. I assumed I would spend the next few months at my father's house doing nothing, being home schooled maybe, definitely out of the hero course, punished for having used my quirk to send a civilian into hospital. It was to save my mother though! He came at me! It was self-defence! Yes his quirk is negligible compared to mine and I... just... lost control.

Anyway, not much I can do now. I'm in Japan. I look out of the window and everything seems completely new. I was born here but when my parents split, we left for France and I never came back, so I feel like I don't belong already. Great...

We slow down in front of huge steel solid gates and after Aizawa opens his window to scan a badge we go through.

Does Dad really need this kind of security around his house?

I still observe and notice young people walking along paths between buildings. It looks like a campus. Is this UA? Did I miss a sign?

"Aizawa, where are we? I though you were taking me to his house."

"No, you will be staying at UA. All students attending stay on campus. You will live in a dorm with your classmates."

"Pardon?!?"

"You heard."

"But... but... I don't know them!"

"They are very welcoming... most of them. You will fit in nicely... mostly." His monotone voice doesn't fill me with reassurance.

We stop in front of a huge house and I follow him with my suitcase and my big dufflebag. After passing the door we arrive in a very noisy large living area, with people who I assume are my classmates arguing in a playful way. I would be amused if I wasn't feeling so exhausted and still pissed off at being dumped by my father.

"Students." Aizawa says, his voice not especially loud but still stopping the shouts in a split second. "Good evening. I have some news."

"Oh really? Who's your friend sensei?" Some guy with red hair and the biggest smile asks staring at me half shielded behind Aizawa.

"If you let me speak I will get to it."

There seems to be less girls than guys. I scan the group trying to memorise all their faces. I'll have to remember names too. It's gonna be such a pain.

"This is Mikki. She's a third year exchange student from France. She will be studying with you for the next few months and staying at the dorm. Please make her feel welcome."

"BONJOUR MON AMIE!!!" Shouts a smiling guy with persistent stare and blond hair.

"I said she's coming from France. She's not deaf and she was born here. She's fluent."

At this revelation, the guy seems unphased, the others laughing.

"Dismissed." He says to the students before turning to me. "Let me show you your room." I follow him to the first floor where he opens a door.

I walk into my new room, white walls, clean, large window opening onto a balcony. There's a desk, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers and a bed. On it, sits a folded set of sheets and a comforter. He opens the wardrobe and shows me a couple of uniforms.

"Do you have your hero suit?"

"Yeah." I say deflated.

He's never been the warm type with me but I can tell he feels sorry for me, even if he's not showing it.

"You have my number if you need anything."

"Yep."

"Get some rest. It's Saturday. Some of the students will be going out, but you should stay within the walls of UA for your own safety... for the time being."

"I'm not planning on going anywhere. I wouldn't know where to go."

"Okay."

He's about to leave when I stop him.

"Is he... I mean... Will I see him soon?" I hate him but he's my father and I want to know if he cares at all. I feel like such a burden.

Aizawa turns to me with an understanding look.

"He cares. He feels guilty for the horrendous life you and your mother ended up having. He will be in touch."

Why would he feel guilty? They split. She left. He couldn't have known what kind of man Mom was gonna meet.

"Thanks Aizawa."

"You'll have to call me sensei on Monday."

"Yeah, I'll have to get used to that."

"Call me if you need anything."

"Sure."

And with that he leaves, closing the door behind himself.

As soon as I am alone, I task myself at making my bed but I'm too tired to do any more. I really need a shower though, so I'm gonna have to go outside and I start to feel anxious to meet any of my new roommates on the way. I open the door and listen. Everything seems quiet so I venture out. At the end of the corridor, I find the communal girls showers and enter. It's empty and I soak under the hot water. This soothes me a little but I'm thinking about Mom. Will she recover? Will she forgive me? Will she understand why I did what I did? She was in shock and unable to register me after it all happened, then sent into hospital.

I miss her. I need to focus on the course until I can go home. I don't want to be here so I won't try to make friends. I'll just get on with work and do what I have to do.

After my shower, I return to my room. The house is really quiet, I assume they are all out. I am so tired. I'm not hungry. Sliding in the fresh clean sheets, I put my buds on and listen to some chilled music to help me relax. I drift off.