if you could let me in (i could be good with you)

(apologies in advance for the longer a/n, but tis important to read if you want to understand what's going on in the fic!!)

*shows up a year later with Starbucks*

hey kids, how's it going? this fic is an unofficial sequel to There's a Fine, Fine Line, which is probably my most popular mcu oneshot, so major thank you to everyone who commented on and supported that story!! also, i say "unofficial sequel" because one day i might write a fic that takes place in-between this story and There's a Fine, Fine Line where we get to see the process of flash becoming part of peter's friend group (vs delving into romance, as we do here). one day. probably not anytime soon, rip.

AS SUCH. you should either (re)read There's a Fine, Fine Line before you read this fic (There's a Fine, Fine Line is 12k of flash thompson introspection that i'm lowkey still pretty proud of a year later, which honestly says a lot lol) OR accept that you will be very confused whenever i reference something in this fic that i first established in There's a Fine, Fine Line, lol, because there's a lot of headcanons/details (big and small) i introduced in there that continue into here.

AO3 users, i tried to link There's a Fine, Fine Line when i first mentioned it in the a/n above (alternatively, you can just go to the series link in the fic summary).

FFN users, you can find There's a Fine, Fine Line as a separate story on my profile.

Quotev and Wattpad users, i am very sorry but i never posted There's a Fine, Fine Line as an individual fic on your platforms, so you can find it within my Old iron dad and spider son oneshot collection called Hair Dye (the fic should be ch. 6; i do Not recommend reading anything earlier than ch. 6 lmaooo ch. 1-5 are my early high school writing and uh. the cringe is real sjkdhsjks).

also, quick sidebar: i do have a random headcanon in this fic that flash and betty have known each other since middle school. i thought of that headcanon for some other mcu oneshot written after There's a Fine, Fine Line, became extremely attached to it, and now it's all but a staple in my flash content lmfao.

alright. moving on!

thank y'all for your patience with that longer a/n, and i hope you enjoy what was supposed to be a 10k fic but somehow doubled lmao! (i also hope you enjoyed There's a Fine, Fine Line, if you followed my advice and went to [re]read it.) lastly, special shoutout to ambivalentangst/ambivalentmarvel for cheering me on as i wrote this monstrosity xoxo

~*~

"Look, it's not really a crush! He's just my favorite superhero!" Flash protested as his friends grinned at him, the frantic words a desperate attempt to maintain at least a semblance of his dignity. Yeah, this was why he despised truth or dare. The game was the epitome of vulnerability but only, only with answering the most ridiculous of questions, like the typical tween girl query of who do you like-like. Truth or dare was especially nerve-wracking when a person was playing with MJ and Betty, who seemed to have a knack for knowing dirt on people.

Flash was no exception to their intuition.

"Whatever you say, Flash," MJ agreed, an amused smirk still tugging at her lips. "But you have to admit. Spider-Man is a little more... local than the other Avengers. You could run into him on any given day. So a relationship with him is—dare I say—achievable?"

Ha! In what universe? Flash's dreams, maybe.

"And you aren't a half-bad catch either, Flash," Betty teased. "Ever since you got your head out your ass, people actually want to be friends with you for reasons other than your parents' money!"