8. After dinner

After dinner everyone washes up and, while some go to their room, others stay downstairs to hang out.

I am going back upstairs to my room and before I leave, Todoroki stops me.

"Mikki. Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I don't know. Just a feeling." He sees me, it's slightly intimidating.

"I felt a bit down earlier, thinking about my family."

"You can talk to me if you don't feel right."

"I never really feel right. I fool myself thinking I am but deep down I'm not. And when I realise that, I crack." He looks like he wants to reach for my arm but stops himself looking around at the others busy doing their own thing. I feel that he maybe wants to hug me but he won't, probably worried about getting unwanted attention. It's fine though, I get it. "I'm okay now, just tired. I'm gonna get some rest." I reassure him.

"Okay. Just let me know..."

"I will. Thanks Todoroki."

"Shouto." I'm taken by surprise.

"Thanks... Shouto." I say shyly.

Walking into the elevator, I wait for the doors to close and they stop, reopening. Bakugou enters and stands next to me facing the doors as they close.

"What did half and half bastard want?" Since when does he care?

"He just wanted to make sure I was okay."

"How does he know you're not okay?"

"I don't know. He seems to see stuff." He scoffs then silence settles. The trip up is not long enough for me to say what I want to say so I'll just have to keep it short. "Thank you."

"What for?" The doors open.

"You know." I go out, looking at my hands.

"Yeah. Whatever." He looks away, clearly clueless as to how to react to my gratitude.

"Good night." The doors close.

I was really hoping he'd stop the doors. What the fuck is wrong with me? As if... even if, not him. Anybody except him... What am I saying? Not anybody but still.

Once in my room I let myself fall on my bed.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about with my life, my heart is being pulled in every sort of directions. I really don't need this, it's hard enough for me to focus on the course. I swear if I don't fail this year, it will be a miracle.

Next day, I wake up in plenty of time and go for a run early. I need to clear my head.

Listening to my playlist, I am startled when I hear a shout.

"You're in the way dumbass!"

I barely see him from the corner of my eyes, when he passes me and I can't tell if he's smiling but I definitely am. Idiot.

I need to focus on my objective, on being the best. Forget about these guys. They may be very sweet and make me feel like I've never felt before and give me butterflies and... SHIT!! NO! NO! FOCUS MIKKI!!

Back at the dorm, I do my core exercises on the front lawn and stretch before going in for a shower. I need to focus. Focus. Focus. Focus.

I go downstairs and drop my bag in the corner. Focus.

I get cereals. Focus

I open the fridge to get some milk. Focus.

I suddenly feel arms clawing onto me. Foc... Foc.... Fuck! Who is squeezing me?!? I can't move my arms. Whoever it is, his chest feels hard and warm and gentle at the same time. My legs feel weak.

"Morning pebble!"

"Kirishima!" Oh god. I really don't need this.

He lets go, turning me to him. He looks like sunshine. His voice is so playful and overloaded with warmth.

"Did you sleep well?"

"I... I... yes I did." I feel my cheeks burning and am thankful to be standing in front of the open fridge.

"I did too. I feel today is gonna be awesome!"

"Why? What's today?"

"Oh we're just going to our mentors. What are you gonna do?"

"Tokoyami and I are going to Fukuoka."

"Wait! Hawks is your mentor too? That's awesome!!" He hugs me in the middle of the kitchen and I feel uncomfortable at the thought of people seeing this, yet I'm loving it.

Why do I worry? It's Kirishima after all, he's like that... right?!? RIGHT?!? WHY DOES HE SMELL SO GOOD?!?

I push him away gently, his arms releasing me but his hands slide along and hold mine, his eyes sparkling, his smile... god his smile. I can't help but smiling back at his excitement. He's just so sweet, I wanna pinch his cheeks.

"Y... Yeah. It is." Did I just forget how to speak?

I hear coughing and, as soon as I turn around, Bakugou's glare makes me uncomfortable, quickly pulling my hands away from Kirishima's who looks at him.

"Hey buddy! Good morning!"

"Nothing good about this morning!" He says his jaw clenched.

"Haha!"

I turn back to the fridge, grab milk and walk away from them two to get my breakfast sorted.

I don't dare looking in their direction after that and try to eat my cereals as quickly as possible to escape. Focus.

"Are you ready to go soon?" Tokoyami asks.

"Yup!" I pick up my bowl, finishing my mouthful while going to the sink to wash up.

I get my bag on the side and when I turn around Bakugou is standing there, scaring me. I chuckle.

"You're in the way dumbass." I say jokingly. He's not laughing. He never laughs to be honest.

"Where..." His hands in his pockets, he looks like he wants to ask something but won't finish his sentence.

"I'm going to Fukuoka with Tokoyami."

"I don't care!"

"I know you don't." He's such a pain.

He's still in my way though. Is he waiting for something?

"Hawks is my new mentor." That makes him frown. "I can tell you all about it another time. I need to go now. Tokoyami is waiting for me."

"I said I don't care! Why are you telling me all this?!?" I chuckle.

"You're in my way dumbass." I laugh.

And with that he just walks away not looking back.

We leave the house and I suddenly hear my name, making me turn back.

"Mikki!" Kirishima runs towards me and stops right in my face, his eyes sparkling. "Have a good couple of days. I'll miss you." He then gives me a quick kiss on the cheek and runs back.

What the hell just happened? I stare at Tokoyami, realising he saw that too. I shouldn't make a big deal out of it. Because there's no point right? I won't even say anything.

We make our way to the taxi taking us to the train station.