Prologue

Eons ago, the first god willed to exist, and therefore they existed. They willed for a world to walk upon, and so created their New World. They willed for water to drink, and so formed the many rivers, lakes, and oceans. The god willed mountains to run freely in, valleys to lay in. Trees that bore fruit were created to sate their hunger, and creatures were created to share in the wealth of the New World. But the god grew lonely among their creations, and so they breathed a voice into the world. The trees began to sing harmonies with the breeze that now whistled their own songs, and the birds and bees were able to tweet and buzz sweet nothings to the god who had bestowed voices to them.  

The god, who had endless ideas for creation, grew to find their creations lovely but predictable. Instead, the god took a breath and blew into existence the Fae. The Fae were beautiful, and fell in love with the land gifted to them. They celebrated naked and free, dancing in rings around their god's ankles. The god gave them magic to entertain, and for awhile, they were entertained. But, as wonderful as their praise was, the god still felt lonely. 

So they willed another deity into existence, to share and create with. They deemed themselves rulers of the world, givers of life. 

But the first god started to romanticize what the world could be, and so love was born for fun. The original Fae were split in half, two images of one body--to be called male and female. Joined in love, they were to resemble the image in which they were created from--the gods themselves. The second god though, couldn't help but feel taunted watching the split Fae live and love below them. 

The second god had not wanted to be willed into existence, no more than the world below them had asked. And so, this god started to take the liberty of creating on their own, without knowledge from the first god. From this creating came storms, droughts, and wildfires to destroy what was given life. Death was born, as was the creation of predator and prey, a vicious life cycle. 

By the time that the first god realized what was happening, the second god turned to unleash their bitter wrath on the Fae, who still rejoiced naked and free amidst the new chaos in their world. The second god had enough time to whisper evil into one of the Fae's soul before the first god struck them down. In order to stop the spread of evil, the first god performed their first form of chaos in the world they had created. 

The Fae who was struck evil was stripped of their endless joy when the first god plucked them from the others and moved them to the mountains. In this isolation, the god realized they could not simply will the evil out of the now corrupted Fae. And so, the god gave the Fae many gifts to counter the evil within. The Fae was given a conscious, subject to guilt. He was also given remorse, for any acts of evil committed. Lastly, the Fae was gifted free will, to choose to not act on the evil that now lay within. 

But the second god would not give up so easily. They created salt to taint the oceans, which started to kill the lovely creatures that swam below. The second god waited until the first turned their attention to the oceans to save their dying creatures, changing them so they could survive the new environment. While the first god was busy, the second god acted. 

Plucking the lonely evil Fae from the mountains, the second god returned them to the other Fae. The other Fae rejoiced at their returned kin, but the evil Fae no longer wished to dance mindlessly and nakedly. The evil Fae started to whisper evil thoughts to the other Fae, making them aware of their nakedness and their laziness and creating shame.

By the time the first god came back to the Fae, the second god had created the First War. The first god, in an attempt to control the ever growing chaos, struck the land and broke it in half, separating the corrupted Fae. While the war was on standby, the first god turned to the second god and begged them to stop. 

But the second god was only interested in chaos, and so willed themselves the ability to destroy instead of create. The second god destroyed the magic that the evil Fae had, turning to its kin.

When the first god realized what the second god intended to do with the world below, a decision was made. The first god could not destroy, only create, and so they decided to will the second god's mouth shut so they could no longer whisper or breathe destruction into the New World. The first god then created a prison deep within the mountains and heavy shackles that would imprison the second god for several millennia to come. Finally, the first god blew the storms that the second god had created and guided them to forever dwell above the mountains and split the land so this mountain range was alone.

But the first god was not done. They needed to sort out the problem with the Fae. The god found that it was hard to tell the already corrupted Fae from the untouched Fae, and so the god gave the pure Fae elongated ears and then gave the corrupted Fae rounded ears. The god gave each corrupted Fae the original gifts to combat evil, and for awhile, it worked. 

The god kept a careful eye on the first evil Fae, who did not seem to care about their acts of evil and continued to scheme. It was then that the god created their first curse, the curse of mortality. The god took the creation of death that the second god had breathed into the world and mixed it with love, giving the Fae a new name--Mortal. From this curse of mortality, the god gave the first mortal a sliver of their desire to create, and with love, the mortal was given a partner to reproduce. Thus marriage was created, and all non-magical Fae were shaped into mortals to marry and reproduce.

After seeing the evil subdue in the now-turned Mortal, the god wanted to give the pure Fae something similar. So the god created mates bound by the souls and breathed into them, but they weren't able to reproduce as easily as the mortal bloodline. The god gave the Fae small amounts of blood, like that which had created for mortals. Now that both magic and blood coursed in the Fae, they were able to reproduce in small quantities, although the blood was a small weakness the Fae were now cursed with. If struck, they would now bleed, and thus could die. Although they were not cursed to die like the Mortals, the Fae still grew to fear death. The first god could not destroy that fear, and so they created hope to counter it. 

But the first god realized that the Mortals and Fae were beginning to create things on their own, without the help of their deity. The Mortals became harsher than the Fae, more temperamental and destructive to the land. The trees no longer spoke to the Mortals, nor did the animals. They took to a deep slumber, and the god could not will them to wake. 

The god hated to see the two lands grow so differently. Hoping that the Fae may be able to influence the Mortals, the god connected the two continents once more, although the islands created from the angry split no longer fit like puzzle pieces. Mortals and Fae met once more, but they would not mingle. 

And so, the god created the first mate bond between Mortal Woman and Fae Male in an attempt to abridge the peoples. This seemed to work, as their marriage was celebrated by both Mortals and Fae. But as the years slipped by very quickly to the Mortals, the god realized the woman and her child aged far quicker than her husband. When the woman passed, and then the child began aging past its father, the god realized the Fae Male had created sadness and longing from his anticipated losses. The god decided that the soul bond between Fae and Mortal would be few and far between in order to minimize this sadness. Yet still, Fae and Mortals began to love without bonds, creating lust and adultery and bastards and demi-fae. 

The god, helplessly maddened by the creations going astray, pulled themselves from the New World and no longer meddled. Instead, the god created a slumber, modelled after the trees and animals, and left the world to create, and destroy, itself.