The Beginning of the End

"Hey Aether don't you think it's kind of weird here? We haven't seen any hilichurls, or slimes, or anyone really. The guild said it would be pretty dangerous too, so shouldnt there be something here?"

"Yeah, Paimon, you're right... something feels off."

a few minutes later you guys heard a shriek that was quickly cut off.

The two of you ran towards it to see a group of adventurers getting overwhelmed by hilichurls and very large slimes but something seemed... off

They weren't normal hilichurls they seemed to be empowered by something... and they seemed bloodthirsty as if driven by an insatiable hunger.

With wide eyes you and paimon watched as the mitachurl sliced the travelers in half with a swing of his axe.

You quickly summoned your sword and started off with the smaller hilichurls finishing them off faster than usual. When you had finished them off you and Paimon made a small grave for the fallen adventurers. You felt something stir behind you so you turned around and your mouth hung agape as you saw all the hilichurls you had killed to be up again with no trace of them ever being hurt. Your face wound into one of confusion until you realized something.

"Paimon go get help... I was sure i killed them the first time but now i'm not so sure if they can be killed normally."

"Okay! I'll be as fast as I can! Please be safe Aether." she said whizzing off

You faced the hilichurls wondering how this could've happened and if the Abyss mighit've found a way to obtain something close to immortality.

A few hours later you were exhausted and the hilichurls you had slain were getting up faster and faster and were somehow getting stronger. What had happened to paimon? Was she ok? Did she get caught? Maybe no one's available and she's coming back? You had no idea but your heart was near bursting you were tired, you needed a drink, and the hilichurls seemed to be overwhelming you. You started fighting again, but while you were fighting off the mitachurls a smaller one clubbed you in the back of the head and everything went dark. You opened your eyes and there was Paimon, along with a few adventurers. You spotted some familiar faces but your vision was blurry and you closed your eyes again.

"Hey Paimon, is everything alright?"

Paimon looked at you, tears threatening to spill.

"Aether, i'm so sorry, I should've been here sooner. If I was I could've-

"Huh? Why are you apologizing, what's happening?"

"You... you're dying"

"Oh... I see. Could you... rephrase that? I dont like how gloomy it sounds"

"... Ok i suppose. Uhhh the cake is about to be done in a while"

"Ahaha, always thinking about food huh Paimon? Haha I've always thought that was pretty funny... my sister, she loves food. She would've loved you." you remembered how your sister would always smile when you brought out food, and your mind wandered to how she was and all your fond memories together. You then realized that you wouldn't be able to see her again. This was where you finally would be laid to rest. After all your struggles you would finally die. Just like your parents had, just like your world did, and just like all the friends you had made over the course of your worlds.

"if my sister ever comes looking for me... tell her I love her."

With a sob Paimon replied "I-I will..."

"Well Paimon... it looks like the cake's done" You said, smiling as you slowly drifted off.