Introduction

When Katy was born at the hospital, her Mama was already extremely poor. Papa was the one with all the money, and he was the one who worked as a movie director. But when Mama and Katy returned to their home, it had burned to the ground, and Papa was lying there, dead. Nobody knows how this happened... not even Katy or Mama.

Only one thing was lying there, and that was Mama's old guitar. Nowadays, Mama went into town and played songs on her guitar while 7 year old Katy sang to them. "This land is your land, this land is my land. From California to the New York Islands. From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters, this land was made for you and me!" Katy would sing as people dropped change into the mug next to Mama. "Mama, what else should we sing?" Katy asked Mama on their first day without Papa or their house. "I'm afraid I don't know any other songs, dear." Katy hung her head miserably. "I can't be poor, Mama. Look at me! I'm barefoot, and all I have to wear is black underwear and this white dress!" Mama sighed. "I know you don't like being poor so far, dear. No one does. But.." Mama paused. Then, she took a deep breath and said, "But we can't do anything about it." Katy knew that she and Mama wouldn't last long. "How much... how much longer..." she'd ask herself at night, when she and Mama slept in the grass, "How much longer shall we live this way, Jesus..."