gdragon

I

knew I shouldn’t have been out in this part of town so late at night, but I needed some time to myself. My grandfather passed away and my parents were on a business trip. A lot has gone by in the past month and I had to get away from all of it. I slowly made my way to the old park where my grandfather used to take me when he wasn’t busy with work. That was a long time ago, before this side of the city became the “bad” side.

I dropped my purse in the grass as I perched myself onto the swing; the one on the right side. It was the one I always used when we came here. Slowly, I begin to move my feet; I got higher and higher with each sway of my legs. I closed my eyes and attempted to let the soft breeze clear my thoughts. I thought back to the times when my family was closer, when we all had dinner around the big wooden table in the dining room. I reminisced the times when my grandparents were still with us, when my grandfather took me to this park during his free time. That was all gone now. Once my parents started helping with my grandfather’s banking business, they’ve always been busy with meetings and trips. Within the last two years, the business had grown at least twice in size, which resulted in even less time together as a family. I’m sure that’s why my grandfather refused to expand his company, because he wanted to spend more time with us, his family – with me.

I sighed and planted my feet on the ground to stop the swing. The sudden halt jerked me forward. I grabbed my purse and dug through it for my phone. I checked the time, it was already midnight. I got up to walk home, but the sound of metal ringing against metal in the direction I was heading stopped me in my tracks. I took my phone out again to call home. After two rings, someone picked up. It was the house maid, and she sounded very tired.

“Hello, can you send Benjamin to the park, I’m there right now,” I asked politely. Benjamin was our chauffeur; he used to drive my grandfather and me here. He had just started his job back then and it had been twelve years since. Now, he was a graying man in his fifties.

“Sure, ma’am,” she replied and I cringed at the formality, “which park are you at?” She's definitely new. There isn’t another park in this town that I would go to, but I guess that’s irrelevant to her.

"Just tell him to go to the park, he’ll know where,” I said to her and after hearing her relay my message, I bid her goodnight and hung up.

I walked to a bench on the sidewalk just outside of the park and sat down. Once again, I heard the loud sounds of metal clinging and voices screaming profanities. I look down the road and there they were. Two gangs, I supposed, running after each other with metal pipes, metal bats, large switchblades and sharp weapons of all kinds. I cringed and looked away. In the opposite direction, I could see another group heading my way. When they got closer, I could tell that they were far better off than those hooligans whacking each other with sticks. They had this air about them that told you to back off when you had the chance. There were five of them, each with a serious expression on their faces. I held my bag tighter to my chest and looked down at my feet when they walked past me. I could feel eyes staring at me as they continued silently, perhaps I was paranoid, but I didn’t look up.

There were two gunshots.

Bang!

Bang!

Then there were the sounds of metal falling to the ground, scuttling footsteps and frantic shouts of let’s get out of here quick, run and forget the money!

I couldn’t imagine what had gone on in that alley and I had no intentions to find out. A black BMW pulled up in front of me and I jolted, only to realize that it was Benjamin in the car. I quickly ran to the vehicle, pulled the door open and slammed it shut.